Swollen gum, pain.

About 6 days ago my gum swelled (like I had a popcorn husk lodged in it). The only thing I had eaten was strawberries and I figured one of the tiny seed things was under the gum line. It has gotten worse each day. Water pikking and flossing have not helped and the pain is terrible. I went to the dentist. They took xrays and picked around and could find nothing. Meanwhile the pain is now so bad it keeps me awake and is all over my jaw. Suggestions? I'm thinking of seeing my regular Dr and getting antibiotics as I suspect an infection. By the way, there is no bleeding or anything else. Just this terrible pain and swollen gum which I use warm salt water, tylenol and antiseptic rinse.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Go get a 2nd opinion from another dentist. If you have something lodged under the gum, then antibiotics are a waste of time. What would a regular doctor know of dental matters? (No offence intended!)

Vote:

Ask a Question