Swelling in front of ear

Solutions
I just had a root canal on tooth #2 and a new crown put in. I had a crown on it before but the endo said there was some decay. After the root canal, my pain went away but the pain actually started when the dentist did the prep for the crown. I had him look at it before he put in the permanent crown 4 days ago and he said all looked ok. Well now I'm having swelling in front of my ear exactly where the tooth is inside my mouth. I can feel my heartbeat on it too. What could be the problem? I have no more root.

Last edited:
Solutions
Could be the crown, could be the RCT. First stop - dentist.
This dentist was on his way out. I just found I he retired and is no longer there. UGH! Maybe the endo can find something. I had 5 days of Amoxicillin in the house leftover from another time and took them. I'm feeling much better but don't have anymore. :(

Vote:
Solutions
RCT = root canal treatment. That's too bad about your dentist retiring. I have found that dentists near retirement do not necessarily do the best work. Not always the case, but there is a reason they retire. It's a physical job and with age it's natural that eyesight and coordination reduces, judgement can also be impaired. Maybe you could ask your endo for x rays to post here. It seems you have an infection of the antibiotics are helping but you really should not self-medicate because there's a risk you don't have the right dose.

Vote:
Solutions
RCT = root canal treatment. That's too bad about your dentist retiring. I have found that dentists near retirement do not necessarily do the best work. Not always the case, but there is a reason they retire. It's a physical job and with age it's natural that eyesight and coordination reduces, judgement can also be impaired. Maybe you could ask your endo for x rays to post here. It seems you have an infection of the antibiotics are helping but you really should not self-medicate because there's a risk you don't have the right dose.
I plan on calling the endo asap on Monday morning. She did take 3D xrays. I understand about the antibiotic but I needed relief so bad. I felt like I had the mumps. Thank you for posting.

Vote:
Solutions
Could be the crown, could be the RCT. First stop - dentist.
Does this sound like a crack in the tooth? I've had a root canal and a new crown. If I take amoxicillin I feel great. After finishing the antibiotics (7 days) the pain came back. I feel like I have the mumps.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Does this sound like a crack in the tooth? I've had a root canal and a new crown. If I take amoxicillin I feel great. After finishing the antibiotics (7 days) the pain came back. I feel like I have the mumps.
Can't be sure. Only way to tell is to go back.

Vote:
Solutions
Well I just went back to my Endodontist. She wants to wait another week to see if the tooth calms down. She did another gum test. How did I go from a #3 gum test to a #7 in 1 month? Something is very wrong. We will see next week. On day 6 of 10 of Augmentin.

Vote:
Does sound similar to my problem except mine was before I had root canal in #31. It shouldn't be happening unless they left some dead tissue in there during the root canal that is causing infection. Or possibly vertical fracture?

I am hoping that mine stays good now after RCT but I just finished my antibiotics. Fingers crossed. I had enough bone loss that the tooth was loose, almost felt like it could fall out. But it has improved since.

Vote:
Solutions
Does sound similar to my problem except mine was before I had root canal in #31. It shouldn't be happening unless they left some dead tissue in there during the root canal that is causing infection. Or possibly vertical fracture?

I am hoping that mine stays good now after RCT but I just finished my antibiotics. Fingers crossed. I had enough bone loss that the tooth was loose, almost felt like it could fall out. But it has improved since.

Going back to my Endodontist in a week. She wants to take more xrays (3 D) to compairwith the ones she took before all this. Just want the pain gone even if I have to pull this one out after spending $1600 on root canal/crown. UGH

Vote:
Hello, first we have to take an x-ray and a thorough examination has to be done. There might be an accessory canal which is present or it might be related to your parotid gland.you can first revisit your dentist and if required visit your ENT.

Vote:

Ask a Question