Sudden sensitivity to cold 4 months after a Class I and Class V fillings to upper right molar

Hi,

I had a Class I and Class V filling on a right upper molar done in November last year.

The Class I was a replacement for a stressed composite filling which I had for 9 months and was pressure sensitive upon mastication, especially with crunchy foods. I had no sensitivity to cold or hot with the old filling.

Things were fine with no sensitivity whatsoever after replacing the old Class I in November and getting the Class V for abfraction.

However, in recent weeks (4 months later), I’ve started to notice sensitivity to cold on the occlusal surface of said tooth right on the filling. It’s a sudden burst and disappears after a second or two. It’s especially evident when chewing salad or drinking cold water. I don’t seem to notice any sensitivity around the gum line and there’s no cold sensitivity in surrounding teeth. X-rays don’t show anything out of the ordinary with the tooth. There are no noticeable stains on the filling edges after examining the occlusal surface.

I brush gently and use sensitivity toothpaste. I have been eating an apple a day and I figure I will ease up on this just to see if acidity is an issue.

I’m posting here if any dentists could share any experiences of treating patients with similar cases or if there are any ideas on what the source is. Suggestions on how to diagnose/pinpoint the source would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jono

Ask a Question