Sudden Gum Pain

Hello all,

I woke up one morning with a bit of swelling in my gums, only on the top left side until about 4 teeth past the front to the left (hopefully that isn't too hard to imagine). I started brushing a lot the day it happened thinking maybe I needed to "brush the inflammation away", I thought maybe there was something stuck under my gum. Brushing a lot has caused some of the inflammation to go away but it seems I am actually brushing away a small layer of my gum around my four or so teeth. This randomly happened overnight and never before, I'm not sure what the issue is. Here are several factors which may or may not play a roll in the issue, I hope it makes it easier for you to understand:

- The night before the swelling occurred I did have popcorn and I've heard the kernel shells could slip under the gum line and cause inflammation, I don't remember anything getting into my gum but I could be wrong
- I've always used a hard rated toothbrush, this is something I've always done and often times I feel the hard bristles do hurt my gums a bit as they glide over
- I didn't have the best dental hygiene as a kid, my gums swelled up a bit and they used to bleed a lot when I brushed. I believe this is fixed now though, not much swelling at all, gums don't bleed anymore, and I haven't heard my dentist telling me about it for a while.

Once again, this happened overnight, my gums rarely bled when I brushed before and they still don't bleed with the inflammation, and it seems that my aggressive brushing actually somewhat ripped a layer of the gums around my teeth. I have been also gargling salt water since I've heard that apparently could kill off any bacteria or infection that could cause the gum to swell. Here is a picture of what my teeth look like:
Teeth.jpeg

A_s

Solutions
Hello all,

I woke up one morning with a bit of swelling in my gums, only on the top left side until about 4 teeth past the front to the left (hopefully that isn't too hard to imagine). I started brushing a lot the day it happened thinking maybe I needed to "brush the inflammation away", I thought maybe there was something stuck under my gum. Brushing a lot has caused some of the inflammation to go away but it seems I am actually brushing away a small layer of my gum around my four or so teeth. This randomly happened overnight and never before, I'm not sure what the issue is. Here are several factors which may or may not play a roll in the issue, I hope it makes it easier for you to understand:

- The night before the swelling occurred I did have popcorn and I've heard the kernel shells could slip under the gum line and cause inflammation, I don't remember anything getting into my gum but I could be wrong
- I've always used a hard rated toothbrush, this is something I've always done and often times I feel the hard bristles do hurt my gums a bit as they glide over
- I didn't have the best dental hygiene as a kid, my gums swelled up a bit and they used to bleed a lot when I brushed. I believe this is fixed now though, not much swelling at all, gums don't bleed anymore, and I haven't heard my dentist telling me about it for a while.

Once again, this happened overnight, my gums rarely bled when I brushed before and they still don't bleed with the inflammation, and it seems that my aggressive brushing actually somewhat ripped a layer of the gums around my teeth. I have been also gargling salt water since I've heard that apparently could kill off any bacteria or infection that could cause the gum to swell. Here is a picture of what my teeth look like:

Hi,

A hard bristle toothbrush can damage your gums. Usually would recommend using a soft-bristle toothbrush.
Also, now there is inflammation, would not recommend brushing too hard on that area.
Saltwater is good.

Vote:
Hi,

A hard bristle toothbrush can damage your gums. Usually would recommend using a soft-bristle toothbrush.
Also, now there is inflammation, would not recommend brushing too hard on that area.
Saltwater is good.
Thank you for the reply. You don't see any signs of gum disease do you? Gum disease is possibly my biggest fear which is why I decided to change my dental hygiene habits once I matured from being a child. Do you have any estimation on how long this gum will take to repair itself and I'll be able to brush like normal again (with a soft bristle brush this time)? Thanks.

Vote:
Hi,

Saltwater is good.

Here is what it looks like this morning:
teeth 2.jpeg

Vote:

Ask a Question