Subcutaneous emphysema after extraction

Should I have to pay my dentist if he failed to use the proper equipment( I have later found out that he should have been using a surgical drill specifically for extractions) and I ended up in the emergency department with subcutaneous emphysema? Furthermore, he kept working even after his assistant pointed out to him twice that there was swelling around my eye during the first extraction and continued to do two more extractions and two more bone grafts. After, he was finished and my right eye was completely swollen shut, he said there was no reason to panic and he then said that I would be fine driving home. I told him I couldn't drive home like that. He then instructed his receptionist to call Urgent Care and said that I could drive myself there. They told her that they could not take me if my eye was completely shut and that I needed to be seen in the emergency room. I told him I could not drive myself there. He did end up driving me there ( he is also a personal friend from the gym). They saw me right away and they took blood and gave me a CT scan of my head, face, neck, and gave me Zofran for nausea via I.V. By this time, not only was my eye was swollen completely shut but also the right side of my face and neck were swollen. They told me it was Subcutaneous Emphysema. I ended up driving myself home the 25 minute ride. I spent 5 days in bed in horrific pain and watching my swollen face turn a brownish yellow color as the swelling finally went down. I have to see him next week to have him look at the sutures. I don't even think he put any of this in my chart! Am I wrong in feeling I shouldn't have to pay for that day since he caused all of this and his handling of the situation was very unprofessional.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dentalnewbie21

Latest Threads