strange teeth unsensitivity

Hi,
I am female, 28. I just came from dental emergency exam due to chipped tooth. It is very tiny chip, about 1mm on #14. I thought they can just smooth it out or put a little filling if needed. But I was shocked when my dentist told me that I need a crown! Tooth is completely normal, x-rays didn't show any inflammation or decay, just tiny chip, which my dentist didn't even notice right away. I don't have any pain, just slight sensitivity when I eat (I think, it is normal after tooth chip). My dentist applied some cold to that tooth and I didn't feel it, but when cold was applied to my front tooth I felt it right away. So, I was told that it is possibly because my nerve is dying inside, and I need root canal and crown. I got super disappointed and went home. But at home I tried same trick with ice cube on all of my teeth and found out that none of my teeth feel it except of front teeth. Does it mean that all of my teeth are dying secretly or it is normal for teeth not to react on cold? do I have to go for second opinion? Thank you in advance.

Cold sensitivity doesn't necessarily indicate a serious problem. It's actually very common for a variety of reasons. Without seeing your x-ray, it's hard to say whether I agree with the dentist or not, but a second opinion is always an option. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your dentist and with the treatment provided. I would suggest that you not proceed until you feel comfortable with the suggested treatment plan.

Vote:
Cold sensitivity doesn't necessarily indicate a serious problem. It's actually very common for a variety of reasons. Without seeing your x-ray, it's hard to say whether I agree with the dentist or not, but a second opinion is always an option. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your dentist and with the treatment provided. I would suggest that you not proceed until you feel comfortable with the suggested treatment plan.
But my problem is that my teeth don't feel cold. My dentist applied cold to the chipped tooth No. 14, and I didn't feel it, so she said it is probably because it died. And that's why I need root canal and crown. But why my tooth would die without any reason? X-rays showed that it is completely normal and looks healthy (my dentist said so). I never had any damage of that tooth or pain. Can it just die without any sign? And at home I tried to apply an ice cube to all other teeth as well, and they don't feel cold too. Which brings me to conclusion that ALL my teeth died except of 4 front teeth (because only they are feeling cold). Can that happen? How teeth can die without decay and all together? I was always so happy that my teeth are so healthy and don't make any problem, and I was taking really good care of them. And now this shocking discovery... I couldn't find anything like this in google, because of this I am asking here. Is it is normal not to be cold sensitive? My dental office didn't want to give me my x-rays, saying that they have them only in soft copy. And it took some time today to make them give me soft copy as well. This is screen shot of problem tooth, chip is in red box http://pic2net.ru/7499981041

Vote:
Thanks for adding a picture. That helps. They probably didn't want to give you an x-ray because you don't need a root canal or crown. I definitely wouldn't go back there. I'm not sure where you live, but you might try asking a friend, relative, neighbor or workmate if they have a good dentist that they could recommend.

Vote:
Thanks for adding a picture. That helps. They probably didn't want to give you an x-ray because you don't need a root canal or crown. I definitely wouldn't go back there. I'm not sure where you live, but you might try asking a friend, relative, neighbor or workmate if they have a good dentist that they could recommend.
Thank you, what a relief! I was not intending to go back there even if I needed a crown. When I came and asked for x-ray, they were soooo rude to me.

Vote:

Ask a Question