Strange Dark Borders (Picture Included)

There are strange, dark borders appearing on my teeth near the gums. I have (perhaps, foolishly) ignored them for a while now, assuming they've been there and I just haven't noticed. I feel, however, there are more now than when it first came to my attention.

I use Tom's fluoride-free Antiplaque and Whitening toothpaste with Listerine Naturals antiseptic mouth wash.

The image is not very clear, but it's the best that I was able to take. I am uploading here as well as providing an external link: http://i.imgur.com/b9W2rwH.png

Would anyone happen to know what might the cause of these "borders" or if the effect is reversible?

Thanks in advance,

Bugg

Attachments

• teeth borders.png
    teeth borders.png
    748.3 KB · Views: 606
When was your last dental cleaning? From your photograph, I would say that it is stain, decay, or stained tartar buildup. The reason why I can't say for a certainty is because an actual exam is needed. An instrument called an explorer is used to determine if it is stain or decay. The sharp point of the explorer is ran along the dark area. If it sticks it is decay. If it doesn't it could be stain. If it scrapes off it is probably tartar. Either way if you want to take care of it you would need to see a dentist.

Vote:
Assuming it's the latter, do you know any viable at-home processes for removing the build-up?

I imagine that, as a reflection of the build-up occurring, it would mean I have not been brushing well enough as well. Is there a toothbrush which has been most recommended to aid in build-up prevention?

Vote:

Ask a Question