Straight teeth, crooked smile. Help!

Dear dental experts:

Looking for options of fixing the below problem. I am a female adult, 24 years old. I've had braces three times during my life, and my teeth themselves are straight.. However, the last few years my smile is becoming more and more crooked. By crooked, I mean the right corner of my mouth lifts up more than the other corner This problem is more exaggerated sometimes and less others.

I have attached a picture that shows a pretty bad time. It's a screen shot from a film. The right (reversed left) is what my smile used to look like on both sides. I also included a pic (with a hat) where I have a more normal smile (though it isn't quite right either). I have included both so you can compare.

I am a performer and am regularly on camera, so this is of great concern to me. I do a lot of commercial work, and I don't want to lose. Also it is getting worse, and I am really concerned where it will be in ten years. I don't know whether I should go to a dentist or "functional orthodontist."

Also, a note I am a vocalist and my voice teacher suspects I might have a mild form of TMJ (though I don't have a locking problems). I have tried to do some TMJ exercises (chin pressing up, massaging the jaw, etc), but it does not seem to help.

I need a solution, "just living with it" is not acceptable, it's my livelihood and my smile used to be perfectly straight. Please advise.

Attachments

• Sideways smile.jpg
    Sideways smile.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 617
  • ToryHS-22.jpg
    ToryHS-22.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:

drmins

Verified Dentist
These photographs won't be sufficient in case diagnosis. A detailed examinations should be done. And yes, it can be corrected.

Vote:

Ask a Question