Split Tooth

For a very long time I've had a hole in the back of my upper left lateral incisor that my dentist seemed to ignore. For a while it gave me no problems, seemed to not have a (At least an active) cavity but recently it became infected. I was taking Amoxicillin to deal with the infection but it appears the nerve died before the infection went away.

For about a week now I've noticed a vertical crack in the enamel and today the tooth split. The one half is solidly in place however the other half pivots from the root end. Temporarily, I'm holding it together with temporary cavity filler until I can figure something to do with it.

My question is what can a dentist do besides an implant? Unfortunately, I am uninsured and don't have much many and cannot come near affording an implant. I was thinking about a snap-in tooth since my grandmother got one and she said it was only $350 but I read that it requires the root to be healthy. So yeah, what can be done?

Update: As I was trying to eat dinner, being ever so careful not to get food anywhere near that tooth, I accidentally bit down and half of the tooth came out. It appears it was just the enamel that was split as the dentin seems intact. Will a dentist be able to put a crown on it?

Vote:

Ask a Question