sore jaw, teeth after digital x- ray with aiming ring

hello,
I had digital bitewings taken over a week ago using a sensor and an aiming ring. This was new to me,(previous digitals were taken using a sensor and a x-ray tube).
Initially, when sensor was put in my right side, i was not able to balance the sensor and aiming ring(too heavy for me) and it drooped out of my mouth. It was placed back in , and I bite down hard to maintain the sensor and aiming ring,X-rays taken! about two days later, and ever since my teeth hurt when i bite down, or when i chew and my jaw is sore! Also, i have severe painful spasms (thrombing) during the day sporatically, and at night when trying to sleep. AS i am writing this , when i close my mouth and i gingerly bite , iam in pain!I have used ice , heat on my right jaw. I am very sensitive,delicate why this is happening,?

the sensor and aiming ring was dexis,standard size, nothing uncomfortable but the weight! do you think a nerve(s) has been touched upon?I hope no damage to teeth(crack, fillings) x- ray showed no damage.WHY Am I hurting? IS this unusual?

Took an otc pain med as suggested by dental office,not much they can do. many-thanks.

drmins

Verified Dentist
Firstly, why was the x-ray image taken?
Secondly, a sensor will not cause any damage to your teeth or nerves. But it can possibly cause a little trauma to the soft tissue of your mouth,if not properly placed.This might have led to the formation of an ulcer or sore that causes the pain.This will heal in a week or few days.

You can try saline gargle several times a day (provided you are not hypertensive) or try gargle with an ayurvedic prescription as follows:
Try thinning down yogurt by adding water and salt proportionately. You can hold this in mouth for some time and then ingest it.( Adding a little cut green chilly and coriander leaves make it a soothing cold drink in the summer :cool:)

Thanking you
dr.mins

Vote:

Ask a Question