Sore gums

I am a 66 year old female with excellent teeth and gums. Recently I have been experiencing sore gums. I went to my dentist and he could not find any reason for the pain. He prescribed Chlorhexidine (Peridox) rinse 2x a day for 3 weeks. The pain went away but after a week off the rinse the pain is now back. My dentist suggested using the Chlorhexidine for another 30 days. Anyone experienced anything like this issue? Thank you

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If there is no explainable source of pain, it could be from an autoimmune response. Did you use any new toothpaste, cinnamon products, new medications, herbal & other daily supplements, etc.? Are you on any hormone replacement therapy or any details that may explain any changes in your daily routine that may have coincided with the gum pain?

Vote:
If there is no explainable source of pain, it could be from an autoimmune response. Did you use any new toothpaste, cinnamon products, new medications, herbal & other daily supplements, etc.? Are you on any hormone replacement therapy or any details that may explain any changes in your daily routine that may have coincided with the gum pain?
No new anything so you may be right. Any suggestions as what to do next?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hopefully the gum pain can heal. If still present after 10 days, have your dentist prescribe Kenalog in Dental Paste. However, it is so important to rule out any possible infection because Kenalog although mild, will suppress your body's ability to fight off infection. It is best to identify the source of possible autoimmune response. I can't analyze your daily routine or habits. If you use cinnamon products or anything listed previously and don't or forget to tell me, I can only guess.

Vote:
Hopefully the gum pain can heal. If still present after 10 days, have your dentist prescribe Kenalog in Dental Paste. However, it is so important to rule out any possible infection because Kenalog although mild, will suppress your body's ability to fight off infection. It is best to identify the source of possible autoimmune response. I can't analyze your daily routine or habits. If you use cinnamon products or anything listed previously and don't or forget to tell me, I can only guess.

The only other trigger that I can think of is my cholesterol medication. Have you heard of this causing a autoimmune response? Thx

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't know for certain. It may be the inactive ingredient such as any fillers, dyes, etc. Have your dentist evaluate it and ask if Kenalog in dental paste is appropriate. If so, the affected area should clear up.

Vote:

Ask a Question