son with cavities

Son is 20 has always been cavity prone. All of his cavities have been in between the teeth, and I have been told they are small. All have been filled right away as soon as dx'd. We had always gone to a pediatric dentist and were very discouraged that he kept getting these cavities. In fact, we started to suspect that they were being a little over zealous in their treatment so we switched dentists to the one my husband goes to who is very good.

At son's first visit to the new dentist, the dentist looked at the x-rays from the pediatric and said they didn't need to be filled yet, so we thought we were right in our suspicions. Yesterday, he went to the new dentist and was told he had 5 cavities (3 watches from the previous x-rays and apparently 2 new ones and needed 2 appointments -- again all between the teeth.

So, I guess my question what is the typical prognosis for a kid like this. His teeth are not rotting at all, can his teeth last his lifetime? Is a kid like this destined for dentures down the road? My feeling is that typically the people who end up with dentures are not the people who had the treatments (filled cavities) etc and that filling the teeth is fixing the problem. Am I right in this?

How long do fillings last? How much do they weaken the teeth, and are fillings between the teeth less damaging to the tooth than those that are not between the teeth.

I have (and my husband) have a mouthful of filings and only once every 5 or so years I have to have one replaced. I am 57 and have 1 crown and 1 implant, so I've done ok. My husband is in the same boat and I have to believe that dental procedures are less invasive and better than they were 40years ago and that my son's teeth will last like ours have.

As the kids were growing up, I was diligent about reminding them to brush, made sure there was floss available, even flossed them for awhile myself. however, I eventually stopped doing that. My younger son just got lazy though and did not want to take care of his teeth. Hopefully now he will be better.

Your son needs to floss properly every day.

Flossing is the most undervalued act in Dentistry. It will definitely reduce the formation of cavities BETWEEN his teeth

Vote:

Ask a Question