Soft Occusal splint - significant reaction from gums and jaw bone

I've been using a custom made soft occlusal splint for five years without issue. Recently I had a new splint made. It is also a soft splint but very rigid much more so than I ever felt my first one. I am a clencher. The force of my clenching seems to have increased by a factor of 2 or 3 with the new splint. I have a very severe case of clenching by any standard. The damage to my lower jaw is like someone took a jack hammer to it. I am covered in exostosis since wearing the new splint. I maybe had one or two with the old one. I am going crazy. I have visited three dentists for second opinions and no one knows. My primary dentist says don't worry your teeth are looking great. I'm afraid to sleep. I'm on anxiety meds. What is doing on here? Today we checked load on each tooth via articulating paper and all looked ok. The splint feels like it's made of glass it's so hard. Is it just me? Am I just such a severe case that even a splint can't help me? I have damage to my gums (inflamed) and jaw bone like someone who never wore a splint in their lives. Help!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It is is extremely unlikely that you developed exostosis over a short period. In severe grinding, it is often recommended that a rigid splint such as a Michigan bite plate is used. Soft occlusal splints often contribute to more grinding, since they give way as you bite into them.
If you are still struggling with grinding, it might be a good idea to also consider muscle relaxants which you take at night before bed, or to consider evaluation of your TM-joints.

Vote:

Ask a Question