Sodium Hypochlorite spilled in mouth during root canal retreatment

JMO

Hello,

I am new but am glad to have potential for help here. While having root canal retreatment "cleaning" today, my endodontist accidentally leaked sodium hypochlorite onto my gum, tongue and it went in my throat. He did use a rubber dam, but must have flooded the tooth and not suctioned enough, so it spilled over onto my gum, and then went under the dam onto my tongue and down my throat, the dam actually kept it there...it took a second for me to react as the burning set in. It was a freak out moment, as he was desperately trying to get the dam off as I was freaking out in pain. We irrigated with water and I drank a lot of water, he told me it was fine and a diluted cleaning agent, but I replied with no, that is bleach, he admitted it was, but diluted. Based on the level of burning feeling, it did not seem super diluted, it smelled and tasted like what the smell of my laundry bleach is like, which is how I figured out what it was. I am concerned because I still feel a burning sensation and have read some things about symptoms showing up later. Should I seek some sort of help or just wait to see if there are further symptoms? After I left, I drank milk and tons of water. The infection in my tooth is out of control and I have to go back tomorrow, but now I'm very worried about this happening again, as it was very scary and panicked. Any thoughts or advice, would help greatly. Thanks much!!

From my experience working in the dental field and actually assisting while this occurs having diluted bleach swallowed has never resulted in any major or even small problems. It's diluted enough to where if ingested it's not harmful.

Vote:

JMO

Hi Miriam,

Thanks so very much for your reply. This is comforting to know. My throat is still hurting today, but hopefully it will get better each day. It feels worse today actually, but I guess that's expected with any burns. My stomach seems fine so no worries there.

Thanks again for your reply, super helpful to know this.

Vote:

Ask a Question