Smelly Wisdom Tooth

Hello All,

I have been having problems with my bottom left wisdom tooth for quite a while, mainly an absolute vile smell coming from it.

I have been to my densit about 3 times over the last year and he just says there is nothing wrong, I just need to floss it. So I went to another dentist who done some x-rays but again they said there is nothing wrong, just food getting caught underneath the gum and I just need to clean more. Is there anything else someone can recommend please in how to get rid of the smell? I have tried hot salty water, mouthwash etc but the smell remains. Straight after cleaning if I put my tongue around it I can taste it.

Thanks in advance.

Not anymore, I used to but when I would brush over the wisdom tooth, I would get an extremely tangy taste. Now I just use a normal one and brush over it lightly.

Last edited:

Vote:
I'm just an old electrician.. BUT... I once had the same problem... the answer is to floss, floss, floss.. but I hated using string floss, so now I use Floss Picks

https://www.amazon.com/Plackers-Micro-Dental-Floss-Picks/dp/B00YWI60R8

Or even better Piksters:
https://www.piksters.com/page/piksters There are different size Piksters for different teeth gaps. Both items are in most supermarkets.

Because they are so easy to use and the results have been so good I have developed an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to floss. I use an electric tooth brush twice a day but I also slip a couple of flossers in my pocket and floss whilst driving or whenever, the family are super grossed at finding the odd used floss pick on my car floor !. I fear the day someone snaps a video of me flossing at the traffic lights and puts it on their Facebook.

Here's a gross experiment, floss the troublesome teeth with a Pikster, then smell the Pikster !

Dip the Pikster in mint toothpaste for a super mint clean. Every so often I dip the Pikster in high flouride toothpaste (5000 ppm) and give them a real decent floss.

You could also dip it in tea-tree oil as a homeopathic anit-bacterial, avoid getting it on your tounge, I doubt it will do anything but it has a strong aroma so maybe have a glass of water ready to rinse.

I probably spend $150 a year on Floss Picks or Piksters... a mere $3 a week and the long term benefits have been significant... Ohh Ohh... this has reminded me... I gotta go buy some more !

Last edited:

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hello All,

I have been having problems with my bottom left wisdom tooth for quite a while, mainly an absolute vile smell coming from it.

I have been to my densit about 3 times over the last year and he just says there is nothing wrong, I just need to floss it. So I went to another dentist who done some x-rays but again they said there is nothing wrong, just food getting caught underneath the gum and I just need to clean more. Is there anything else someone can recommend please in how to get rid of the smell? I have tried hot salty water, mouthwash etc but the smell remains. Straight after cleaning if I put my tongue around it I can taste it.

Thanks in advance.
There's not many wisdom teeth that are easy to clean. hence, many have to be extracted. I might have 1 in 5000 patients who actually have useful wisdom teeth. Post up an Xray if you can, but I don't know why people are so sentimental about these teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question