Small gaps in teeth

Hi, I have recently considered getting some cosmetic dentistry in order to correct a small gap (roughly 1mm) in-between my two top front teeth. With my limited dental knowledge, and after searching the internet it seemed that composite bonding would be my best bet; as such I booked an appointment at my local private dentist. However, on arrival it seemed that the practice was somewhat unscrupulous (offering botox, face peels etc). When I consulted the dentist he stated that a brace would be necessary as my gap was too small, but it was hard for me to know whether this was a valid assertion or if the dentist had just seen dollar signs.

I need a little bit of advice as to what to do next. Should I consider a second opinion? or should I just accept that braces/invisalign are my only option?

It certainly will do no harm in getting a second opinion. Something to keep in mind that the dentist must sculpt the dental composite so that the region underneath the bonding can still be cleansed effectively with dental floss. 1mm is quite a small gap to work with. Braces may be a good, better longer term option.

Vote:
Invisalign is definitely a good choice for moving teeth. The aligners are much more comfortable than traditional braces and can be removed when you need to eat, brush, and floss.

Vote:
Many factor acts to close the gap. Factor affecting type would be suitable for to notice that how large the gap, space between two teeth, what is the desired cosmetic & how is overall mouth condition. So please consult with a good dentist, he might help you.

Vote:
From the sound of it, definitely a braces is what you want. It will be longer procedure but you don’t have to worry about it after it for a longer period. I myself had one few years back from Dr. Stephen Phelan, but it was just to my the gap for a teeth implant.

Vote:
How older are you? According to me cosmetic dentistry is the best suitable option if the gap is small. I am 35 years old and got my 2 gaps filled, believe me composite bonding is more affordable than other treatments and also look very natural. Braces are always a better option for teenagers.

Vote:
I agree with JerryD. If you're a teenager than I recommend braces. However, if you've reached middle age like me getting cosmetic dentistry would be a reasonable option.

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
Though the one who posted the question was last seen about a year back,l would like to address it.:)

If He/She is above 18 years of age, i would suggest to go for Inman Aligner as it wont be as expensive as Invisalign.
I wont suggest braces for a minor correction like this.

Vote:

Ask a Question