Sinuses or Tooth?

I had a root canal in July and a retreatment three weeks ago. Both were done by a trusted endodontist on an upper right hand molar. Since then I've had sinus/jaw pain--a throb really on that side. Sometimes it gives me a headache. My dentist took an xray on Thursday and did and an exam for crown placement. She told me that the tooth looked good, but that my sinus cavity looked "cloudy." I'm not convinced that I don't have an infection in that tooth. I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'm wondering what my options are at this point.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Any X-rays to show us? Get all teeth retested on that side with cold and percussion tests.
Do you normally get sinusitis? This is often felt as a dull ache associated with 2-3 upper back teeth; they'll be tender when tapped; you'll often have pain if moving suddenly like going up and down stairs; you might have nasal discharge; the pain is resolved with simple painkillers. Try some OTC sinusitis medication.
Don't get a crown preparation until this pain resolves. If you're still unsure, then go back to the endodontist - they'll prob see you for free if you've used them before.

Vote:
Thanks for the response. I don't have pain in the tooth, but there is an occasional sensitivity to cold. My endo and dentist have both said that means another tooth is involved. Unfortunately my dentist already put the temporary crown on. I don't have swelling, congestion, or fever, so I'm going to give Advil and Sudafed a shot. I will contact endo this week to get his input. My tooth is so much better than it was before I got the root canal. I was in so much pain before...

Vote:
Any X-rays to show us? Get all teeth retested on that side with cold and percussion tests.
Do you normally get sinusitis? This is often felt as a dull ache associated with 2-3 upper back teeth; they'll be tender when tapped; you'll often have pain if moving suddenly like going up and down stairs; you might have nasal discharge; the pain is resolved with simple painkillers. Try some OTC sinusitis medication.
Don't get a crown preparation until this pain resolves. If you're still unsure, then go back to the endodontist - they'll prob see you for free if you've used them before.

I've got the xray. Do I just upload it?

Vote:

Ask a Question