Should infection be treated?

Hi, my dentist recently diagnosed 2 small infections under 2 upper front crowned teeth. He has suggested that it would be best to leave the crowns in place for now and reassess at the next 6 monthly checkup.

I'm wondering if this is normal procedure? I've read that crowned teeth that have had a root canal have no blood vessels in them and therefore my immune system cannot possibly clean the infections, so will the infection just worsen and spread to other teeth?

Thanks.

Solutions
Sometimes x rays look as if the tooth has an infected root. But when another dentist looks it is all clear. Many years ago a dentist told me a root treated crowned front tooth was infected. It made me really paranoid about that tooth. It was 18 years ago, the tooth is still there with no other dentist confirming it's infected. So I'd recommend you get a second opinion. Do you have any pain or tenderness?

Vote:
There is no pain or noticeable swelling but when I touch the gum I feel a slight tingling. One of the crowns does need replacing anyway. It is old, the gum has receded and the discoloured root is visible.

Vote:

Ask a Question