Should I have this treatment?

I am booked in to have root canal work and a new crown on one of my upper front teeth. The crown and the tooth it was on broke off a couple of years ago and there was just enough tooth left exposed for my Dentist (Who is very good by the way) to put in three tiny posts to refit the crown.

However, since this was done about a year ago the upper part of my gum has felt tender to the touch. Like a bruise when you press it. Not painful at all but you can feel a slight pain when you press it. My dentist x-rayed it and thinks there is slight dark area that’s probably an infection and he has suggested removing the crown and doing some root canal work to cure the infection then putting a single post in and fitting a new crown. (least I Think this is what he said).

I am concerned though that it could be last chance saloon with this tooth and that something might go wrong and he may not be able to fit the post and crown. Is there any other way this could be treated as the crown is fine and I do not want to lose my front tooth or be forced down the implant route? Could I just leave it? He has basically said it’s up to me but I am not really sure what the risks are. Could it just go away or at best just remain as it is? Will the infection if it is an infection get worse? It’s been like that for a year and whilst it’s not got better it’s not got worse either. If it was to get worse could I not have the procedure done then or would it then be too late?

Any advice really appreciated.

Solutions
I'm surprised that the dentist did not do a root canal when fitting posts. But then I'm not a dentist. If you have a soreness where the root is then that is an indication of an infection. Get a second opinion but generally a tooth will feel weird if infected, the area around the gum will feel sore but you won't be able to tell quite where the pain is coming from. There is often a blister on the gum by the root, but that's not always the case. Sometimes the tooth just feels alien as it dies. It doesn't go away once there is a root infection. But you should see an endodontist to have a root canal done.

Vote:
Thanks. Its not even sore really. Just as you say feels a bit odd like pressing a bruise if you press hard on the top of the gum. As said my concern is if something goes wrong and the dentist is unable to fit a new post and crown. I would rather leave it as it is but need to know what the risks are.

Vote:

Ask a Question