Should I get my wisdoms removed?

Hello everyone!

I went to get x-rays done the other day and the dentist said I should have my wisdom teeth removed. Attached is the x-ray.

As you can see, the bottom left has a molar that looks like it's going to move directly into my lower jaw. The orthodontic significance of this is that, if I do nothing and the tooth doesn't change direction, my bite will change. Also, there appears to be some sort of boney growth on the bottom left of the image, where my left lower jaw is. I don't know what to think about it.

I really would like to get a second opinion on the doctor's verdict. I have only one mitigating factor and one concern that would make me cautious about getting surgery. Firstly, in my family, a similar situation has happened with mixed results. One of my relatives ignored the doctor's request to remove the wisdoms removed and turned out fine, however they dealt with crowding in their lower teeth and had to get braces. Secondly, I've heard but can not verify (please tell this is a myth) that losing your wisdom teeth could cause problems with sleep apnea.

I'm scheduled to get the consultation/surgery on Thursday. I'd be very grateful to get a second opinion. Thank you!

For people who've had this type of surgery, did you do laughing gas or iv? Which do you prefer if you've done both before?

Attachments

• 17_.jpg
    17_.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 37

Ask a Question