Should I Get Braces?

Hi. I am a 16 year old male High School student who is very concerned about the possibility of needing braces. I have not had a dental checkup since September of 2013 due to my family having to drop Oxford and switch to Medicaid due to financial troubles. My mom learned that braces are FREE, but of course these are only the traditional wire braces. Here is a list of a few dental problems that I have:
1. Medium sized gap inbetween my front teeth
2. ONE crooked tooth on the bottom row of my teeth
3. Chipped tooth
4. Tooth that needs crowning
I am not sure if 3 or 4 needs to be resolved in order for the braces to be setup in the first place. but I know that 1 can be resolved by bonding, which leads me to 2. This tooth RECENTLY became crooked. I asked a few people and they didn't notice it until I told them about it, but it kind of bothers me a little. It doesn't physically bother me, but I get slightly overwhelmed when i see it in the mirror. So now here is a list of concerns I have about braces:
1. The metal braces are noticeable, and very few people my age still have them.
2. Braces require very high maintenance.
3. Braces take well over a year to complete.
4. Once braces are done, I need to wear a retainer and from what I heard, it's for the rest of my life.
5. I only have one dental issue that can only be solved by getting braces.
6. My wisdom teeth are currently coming in, Will that conflict with my braces if I do get them?
So what would any of you guys do if you were in my position? Can anyone who has experience with braces tell me some experiences they had? Thank you all for your time.

Last edited:
Braces are well worth the wait if you do not like the way your teeth look. However, you are right that the other issues need to be taken care of before you start braces. Wisdom teeth can sometimes cause your teeth to crowd and get crooked, so I would also advise getting those removed before starting braces.

I think you should go to an orthodontist (braces dentist) and get a consultation. These are usually cheap and they can tell you all of the risks and benefits to your specific case. They'll take xrays and make sure whether you need braces or not. Hope this helps,

Garrett Fiorenza, DDS
www.fiorenzadentalgroup.com
Greenwood, IN

Vote:
I think I'm gonna go ahead with the braces. Thanks for your response. My case is less serious than others, so they should hopefully be out a year after I get them. I am actually more nervous of getting a regular dentist appointment after over a year rather than getting braces on my teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question