Should I get a second opinion?

So I just got back from seeing a new dentist and I've been quoted on approximately $12,000 worth of dental work to be done over the next year. My dental insurance isn't great and I am very stressed and overwhelmed. The work includes: a new crown, 4 onlays, a couple of fillings, root scaling/planing, a mouth guard for night time (apparently I grind my teeth), and IV sedation (I have dental anxiety). My last appt with another dentis about 1.5 years ago resulted in the dentist telling me I needed to replace that crown(so I'm not surprised about that part in this current estimate). This new dentist is extremely detailed, thorough-- he breaks his new patient appts into two parts- the first is X-rays and pictures (lots of high tech stuff), then he studies all that stuff, and the next appt a week later is your cleaning and then a 1 hour "treatment plan" session (!!!) NOT with him, but with his wife who is basically the office manager. I called back when I got home to see if they could email me the full 12k invoice/ quote and I was told that they don't do that since there's a lot of "confusing dental jargon" that wouldn't make sense to me. Overall I'm just really uncomfortable about all this. I want a healthy mouth but this seems like a bit much to me. Help!!!! :-( :-(

I should also mention that I did go a few years without my regular dental checkups (I blame no insurance, being in college, and just overall anxiety), but since then I've had 2 root canals/crowns, and have had a full examination by a previous dentist about a year and a half ago that did NOT result in all this necessary work. I was pregnant between May2012-jan2013, would pregnancy cause that many dental issues (hormone changes, etc)???

Vote:
$12,000 sounds like a lot for the treatment that you've described. It is also unusual that you are not permitted to have a copy of the treatment plan. A second opinion is always a good idea if you feel uneasy about the first opinion. It would be helpful though to have the current treatment plan to compare with the one from the new dentist. Copies of the x-rays would be helpful too so you won't have to pay for them again. I'm not sure where you live, but in many areas a dentist is required to release your records to you upon request.

Vote:
$12,000 does seem excessive. There is no harm in a second opinion to compare price and treatment plan options. If you need more information on cosmetic and general dental our dental practice has information that can educate you a little more so when you have a consultation you will understand more about dental terminologyand procedures. Ashton Dental

Vote:
Hi Rsh 12000 does seem like a lot, these fees should not be this extravagant, this office that has quoted you these fees are out of their mind, the lab charges a fraction, and the time spent in the chair does not constitute your dentist to charge so much, i don't know where you reside, but im from NY and i work for a non-for-profit that helps patients find affordable dental care free of charge. We have recently found a dental office that operates in NYC, does not advertise, or market itself, but the dentists are sweethearts and have helped countless patients, they charge 349 for zirconia crowns (metal free, i know because i just had 4 done by them), in addition they will screen you thoroughly the way an exam should be performed and not try to sell, or get you in anything you cant afford. always look for compassionate dentists and not the ones that were used care salesmen in their former lives.

Cheers

Vote:

Ask a Question