Shall I remove 3 teeth for invisalign?

Hi,

I had my left upper impacted canine surgically removed. Initially the plan was to have braces (fast fixed braces) to open up a space for the missing tooth in preparation for implant. However, because there was not enough bone there (after tooth was removed), the implantation failed in the second stage after braces was completed. I was then told the best option is to do a bonegraft (chip a bit of bone from my lower jaw) to optimise implantation. I had a long thought about it and decided not to go ahead considering the risks/complication involved post-op.

Here are the few issues:
1. After expansion the gap (for left upper canine implant) via braces, my jaw became protruded and teeth are pointing outward instead of previously inward. This also has affected my bites and speech and I have found Im using my neck muscles a lot more to make the effort to my mouth (muscle soreness and TMJ pain). I also don't like the way I look from the side now. I care a lot about my appearance, and I feel I look worse than before.

2. Because lack of bone, the only conservative option I have will be to do a bridge which will compromise the neighbouring teeth. The dentist told me that the other option is to remove my right upper canine plus bottom 2 canines to retract the teeth (to close up all the gap), therefore, I will not need to worry about what to do with the missing tooth and also will have more room for orthodontist to work on my teeth than current condition (He has been trimming off my teeth to create space yet the result towards the end was unable to correct the above issues and jaw alignment). However, the dentist did say that he is not keen to extract healthy teeth for cosmetic purpose.

After evaluation pros and cons, I feel the protrusion has affected me alot in many aspects, I don't talk, bite, even breath (because of increased protrusion the nose is tilted slightly upwards) normally as I used to. My left bottom canine had root canal treatment anyways, therefore, I thought it wont be too much of a lost to remove that one. By closing up the gap I will also not need to worry about what to do with the missing gap, since bridging will compromise 2 other teeth as well.

But what I am afraid of is having too much retraction of the jaw and teeth and what I will look like and will my bite be improved? What are the downside of going ahead for this type of treatment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Best Regards,
Claire

Ask a Question