Shadow on Filling?

Hi everyone,
I found this forum because I have a bit of an issue.

I just got back from my dentist and it turns out I have what he referred to as a "shadow under my filling". Now, I should've asked him some questions that I didn't at the time but I'm not sure which tooth he is referring to but I have X-Rays :D but I don't know what I'm looking at though. I have what I believe to be good oral hygeine, I brush twice a day and floss atleast once a day.

Is this shadow common? What can cause this? Could he have screwed up when he put in my filling? He kept referring to something as "M.O.D." but I forgot to ask him what that was, could someone enlighten me?
Hope to hear something soon.
Thanks.

drmins

Verified Dentist
M.O.D refers to a filling which extends from the mesial to distal aspects of the tooth,on occlusal surface.
Pls upload your x-ray film image for further opinions.

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
hi
What was your chief complaint for visiting the dentist this time? Or what was the reason you took the radiograph or x-ray? Pls specify the tooth you complain of.

Thank you

Vote:
Hi,
I just went in for a regular cleaning. They took x-rays because it was time for one. As for the tooth I'm not really sure he just said I have a shadow on my filling but I forgot to ask which one. My main questions are which tooth has the shadow and how common is this, could this have been a mistake on the dentist's part?

Vote:
Hi,
I just went in for a regular cleaning. They took x-rays because it was time for one. As for the tooth I'm not really sure he just said I have a shadow on my filling but I forgot to ask which one. My main questions are which tooth has the shadow and how common is this, could this have been a mistake on the dentist's part?
Was this an amalgam (silver filling) If that is the case it could simply be the color of the filling showing through the enamel of the tooth since enamel is translucent and allows some shadows to appear. An MOD means that there is a filling that goes between the teeth on the front of the tooth and then across the top and then down the back between the tooth behind the one with the filling and the one with the filling in it.

Vote:
Was this an amalgam (silver filling) If that is the case it could simply be the color of the filling showing through the enamel of the tooth since enamel is translucent and allows some shadows to appear. An MOD means that there is a filling that goes between the teeth on the front of the tooth and then across the top and then down the back between the tooth behind the one with the filling and the one with the filling in it.

No, it wasn't a silver filling it was the tooth color one.

Does anyone see the shadow? Which tooth is it on?

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
Its either a GlC or composite filling. Amalgam fillings are more radio-opaque.
The 'shadow' possibly refers to a translucency in the x-ray image. But no significant radiolucency is observed in the radiographs provided (may be due to the poor image quality while uploading). However,from the image provided,the possibility is that your dentist was talking about your second premolar where the mesial end of the filling shows a mild "shadow" beneath it. This can be a void due to 'not so well condensed' filling material,or a secondary caries. In composite fillings,some times such secondary caries or "shadows" are more seen,than in a GIC filling.If that is the case,you may go for a new filling or wait for any symptom to appear. Your dentist can help you conclude it,with a better radiograph.

Vote:
I think it is the first premolar on distal surface and it does have a radiolucency right underneath the fillings and this simply means the decay wasn't completely removed in the oringinal filling procedure

Vote:

Ask a Question