Several allergies...

My Mum is allergic to Lidocaine meaning she has to be given alternative anaesthesia. However, she is also allergic to many other things, including cobalt, chromium and a severe nickel reaction. Her dentist has not changed the tools he works with so she reacts every visit.

I just wanted to know if there are alternative tools a dentist can use that are free from these metals?

Thanks

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is almost impossible to be allergic to lidocaine. Usually it's other ingredients in the solution that cause the allergy. And many people say they're allergic when really they've had an adverse reaction. Mum should be tested by an hospital immunologist - lidocaine is widely used in dentistry and medicine. She should also get testing for the metal responses by a immunologist. Your Mum should have an Epipen at the ready.
I just had my 2nd case in 35 years of an allergy to lidocaine with adrenaline solution - blood pressure drop, wheezing, and urticaria. After testing, it was found NOT to be an allergy to lidocaine, but probably sodium metabisulfite (couldn't be tested directly). So now the patient knows she can have plain solutions of lidocaine, prilocaine, and mepivacaine - all easily available in dentistry and medicine.

Vote:

Ask a Question