Sent for biopsy

Hi everyone
I am new.
quick infill of my problem, I went to the dentist 4 days ago and he refered me to the hospital for a biopsy as he found a dark patch on my gum, he said it could be where the gum has rubbed on an old filling or something “sinister”, now I don’t think I have a filling there rubbing directly on my gum, I googled it, I know bad move but it came up oral cancer, now I am a mum of3 having heart palpitations thinking I could have cancer and be leaving my babies, the referral seems to be taking forever I know it’s only been 4 days but I’m a wreck, I need some opinions please!!!
thank you!
DFDE70AD-9064-4EF9-97FB-66C0B3EF96B4.jpeg
84413714-B364-410B-A01C-CD033CBCFE9B.jpeg

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Can't tell for sure either. Some people get an amalgam "tattoo" if a filling gets pushed into the tissue which is sort of what your dentist is suggesting. Unfortunately that doesn't look a likely place for one, or the right appearance, but that's just an internet opinion. Good luck and let us know what they find out.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is very rare and the numbers are in your favor to have a lesion (in that location) that is sinister. I think the most likely lesion is an amalgam "tattoo" like Dr. MattKW mentioned. If so, it is harmless...I have it. It should also show up on x-rays as white specks in the area. In oral pathology, there is a saying "when you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras."

The most common oral cancer is Squamous Cell Carcinoma especially in that location and your lesion does not look like it.

Vote:

Ask a Question