Sensitivity to hot/cold after root canal

Solutions
I’ve had a root canal done on Monday (9/11/20), I still have sensitivity to cold as much as I did before the procedure. Does this definitely mean that nerve been left behind? If so is this the dentist error? I will obviously have to have root canal re done but will I have to pay for it again ? It’s cost nearly £700 :(

Attachments

• 25A3ED82-473D-4F6D-A23C-7BF5870670AE.png
    25A3ED82-473D-4F6D-A23C-7BF5870670AE.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 87
  • B30910E3-F39F-46F6-8A70-148E138916FD.png
    B30910E3-F39F-46F6-8A70-148E138916FD.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 82

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Most likely your temperature sensitivity is from adjacent teeth. Have your dentist cold test with a cotton pellet saturated with liquid nitrogen (Endo Ice). The root canaled tooth should not feel any cold. The x-rays appeared like the dentist did his/her best. Your costs in the UK is similar to US of about $1000. Dentists usually bill you in good faith so you shouldn't worry about paying extra.

Vote:
Solutions
Most likely your temperature sensitivity is from adjacent teeth. Have your dentist cold test with a cotton pellet saturated with liquid nitrogen (Endo Ice). The root canaled tooth should not feel any cold. The x-rays appeared like the dentist did his/her best. Your costs in the UK is similar to US of about $1000. Dentists usually bill you in good faith so you shouldn't worry about paying extra.

Thank you for your comment. Yes I have noticed that the tooth next to it has a very large filling close to the nerve. Do you think the root canal could of “ disturbed” this tooth and this could settle down or I will need root canal on this tooth too? It is a very bad deep nerve pain that I have not just little bit of sensitivity. Probably even worse than before the root canal was done. Many thanks

Vote:
Solutions
Hello, I have seen my dentist on Wednesday and after doing the cold test he said the sensitivity is on my wisdom tooth. Im relieved that the one that the root canal was done is ok BUT now I worry about the wisdom tooth. I have asked if this tooth need root canal too he said no and that it’s probably just sensitive after the filling was done. The filling on this tooth was done 9 weeks ago, is it common to experience sensitivity so long after a filling? I had many fillings in my life and never experienced that before. He gave me some kind of special toothpaste and said the sensitivity should go within couple of weeks. I was hopeful but I feel like the pain is getting worse , more sensitive not just to cold drinks but also when I eat or just touch this tooth with my tongue. I have noticed that this tooth that had the white composite filling have a grey area in one corner ... could this be the cause of the pain? I know it’s hard to tell from this image but I’m guessing that’s micro-leakage, should new filling with micro-leakage be replaced straight away especially if it’s causing pain? It is very difficult to take a picture, I have attached one anyway but it is very blurred, any thoughts would be much appreciated

Attachments

• 624825DF-01EF-4ACF-8D22-0634D5A7613A.jpeg
    624825DF-01EF-4ACF-8D22-0634D5A7613A.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question