Sensitivity in tooth with very snug crown

Solutions
Had crown done in February on tooth #5. Tooth had broken 1 mm below gum line and root canal was done. Crown was very snug when fitted, I assumed to ensure it would hold. Had two or three days of pain from the tight crown, then pain subsided. Two months later, after start of coronavirus, I had tingling discomfort in the tooth. Dentist who was not attending prescribed amoxicillin 500mg tid for a week. Didn't solve the problem. Saw endodontist who was attending. He said root canal looked fine, gum around the tooth inflamed. Dentist remotely prescribed chlorhexedine rinse bid for two weeks, didn't solve the problem. Pain is not severe, doesn't require analgesic, but tooth is clearly not normal. Could it be from the snugness of the crown and if so can anything be done?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sounds like root canal is fine or else the endodontist would've said so, and the tooth would be tender to biting pressures. If the gum is inflamed, it may be that the crown edges are too deep for the gums to tolerate, or that the crown edges don't fit well. Antibiotics are not indicated. Go back to dentist who made the crown. Get photos and show us.

Vote:
Solutions
Sounds like root canal is fine or else the endodontist would've said so, and the tooth would be tender to biting pressures. If the gum is inflamed, it may be that the crown edges are too deep for the gums to tolerate, or that the crown edges don't fit well. Antibiotics are not indicated. Go back to dentist who made the crown. Get photos and show us.
Thanks very much for your reply. Confirming tooth not tender to biting pressure. Dentist office should reopen sometime in month of June. Crown was fitted on tooth couple of times before applying permanently. Each time painful, I assumed at the time snugness due to tooth having broken 1mm below gumline not a lot to secure to. Have had crowns before and never felt discomfort like this during fitting. Best photo I can take attached

Attachments

• tooth.JPG
    tooth.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 134

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks very much for your reply. Confirming tooth not tender to biting pressure. Dentist office should reopen sometime in month of June. Crown was fitted on tooth couple of times before applying permanently. Each time painful, I assumed at the time snugness due to tooth having broken 1mm below gumline not a lot to secure to. Have had crowns before and never felt discomfort like this during fitting. Best photo I can take attached
The gum above tooth #5 is red all the way to the top. The gum above the same tooth on the opposite is not red at all

Vote:

Ask a Question