Sensitivity after a very recent filling , never happened before ?

Solutions
Exactly one month ago , I got a filling on a molar
Ever since I got it , the filling felt sensitive but after 2 weeks it reached peak sensitivity , meaning I couldn’t eat on that tooth , I couldn’t chew , I couldn’t drink very cold drinks, ecc so I immediately went back to the dentist - TWICE! She did an X Ray to check , she checked my filling she said everything was alright , she asked me if the pain was persistent , if I had it all the time but I replied it only happens when I chew . She concluded it needs more healing .

Is this possible ? It’s never happened before and I got tons of fillings . I’m sort of concerned . It seems like it’s slightly better but it hasn’t gone away ?
Crumbs and small pieces of food make it more sensitive . Do you think it needs a root canal ? Should I go ahead and get one ( I could afford it) is it worth it in my situation or ... do I just wait and see if the sensitivity goes away ?

Also this tooth had some complications during the filling process when the dentist started drilling on my tooth the anesthesia hadn’t quite kicked in yet (never happened before ) and she drilled with me feeling all the pain .it was very painful . I had to stop her and She had to give me 4 more injections . I wonder if that could be the reason why it feels super sensitive now .like if that irritated it inside or something . Any help is greatly appreciated

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

There could be a lot of reasons for the sensitivity. Firstly, if the filling was very deep and close to the nerve, it could've caused pulpitis. Eventually this could lead to root canal treatment.
If the filling is a bit too " high " , the occlusal interference could cause pain. It is important that the occlusion is checked after every filling, to minimize interference.
If a composite resin filling was placed, and there was moisture contamination during the process, it could also cause post-operative sensitivity and in such a case the filling might need to be re-done.
Has the dentist tried to adjust the occlusion on the filling?
Have you tried going on a short course of anti-inflammatory meds?

Vote:
Solutions
Yes so , it was a bit too high but it was adjusted . She hasn’t tried to re do it completely just smoothed it out . The meds won’t do anything because it’s not a constant pain ... I only feel it for about 2-3 seconds if I bite something down with the tooth . dentist is pretty confident my tooth is fine and she doesn’t need to redo the whole thing
I’m not sure what to do
Also from the X ray the filling wasn’t super deep and it wasn’t close to the nerve - it was medium I would say . I do have a filling that coveres the entire tooth and it was a try to save me from a root canal and it never gave me a problem. It’s always the same dentist who filled all the teeth

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There might also be a crack on the tooth. Usually a crack is symptomatic as you apply pressure to the tooth, and then disappears as pressure is released.
If your dentist has access to a CBCT scan, this could help to determine if a crack is there, since it gives a 3-D image of the tooth.

Vote:
Solutions
There might also be a crack on the tooth. Usually a crack is symptomatic as you apply pressure to the tooth, and then disappears as pressure is released.
If your dentist has access to a CBCT scan, this could help to determine if a crack is there, since it gives a 3-D image of the tooth.
She used the orthopantomography ? Is it
visible from there ? I doubt they have access to something even more modern

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, unfortunately that only gives a 2-D image. It might be necessary for her to refer you to an endodontist.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A root canal might not even be possible if there is a crack that goes deep, through the pulpal floor and into the roots. I think it is best that she refers you for a CBCT and then, if she is a endodontist, she can determine if a root canal is a viable option. Most of the time root canals can save the tooth for a long period of time. Failure of a root canal is determined by a lot of factors, including operator technique and experience, if the root is short filled or not, if the tooth was crowned to prevent fracture etc.
The truth is, that a root canal can be a good option, but it is necessary to determine the presence of a possible crack first. If there is a crack, and it is a deep crack, then maybe extraction with implant placement might be a better long term option

Vote:
Solutions
A root canal might not even be possible if there is a crack that goes deep, through the pulpal floor and into the roots. I think it is best that she refers you for a CBCT and then, if she is a endodontist, she can determine if a root canal is a viable option. Most of the time root canals can save the tooth for a long period of time. Failure of a root canal is determined by a lot of factors, including operator technique and experience, if the root is short filled or not, if the tooth was crowned to prevent fracture etc.
The truth is, that a root canal can be a good option, but it is necessary to determine the presence of a possible crack first. If there is a crack, and it is a deep crack, then maybe extraction with implant placement might be a better long term option
Ok !

Vote:
Solutions
Hope this info helps a little. Good luck!
I went back to another dentist this time . He said the problem was bonding issues and re did the filling today , trying to keep it as dry as possible
It’s been 3 hours since I got it done and my gums hurt so bad . Not only the spot where I got the injections done but many other spots , it feels like it’s bruised . My tooth is hurting , my gums are throbbing ecc he said I need to wait 1-2 days . I don’t know if this is normal . I also have gengivitis on top of the tooth issue . It’s really hurting . How long do I wait before I ask for a root canal this time ?!

Vote:
Solutions
Is the pain only on that specific tooth that was worked on?
Yes the tooth that got worked on feels like it’s burning but my entire gums hurt
The spot where I got the injection is better but my tooth feels like it’s burning and I can’t really chew very hard or else it hurts inside . I am trying not to chew hard or on that area. I’m slightly concerned
My jaw also hurts a little bit but not on the side where my tooth is . I wonder if it’s from keeping my mouth open for a long time

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If the filling was re-done and the pain persists on this tooth, then the only other possibility is a crack on the tooth. A root canal will be the only option left . Or extraction if the fracture is too deep. Again this can be determined with a CBCT as previously discussed in this thread.

Vote:
Solutions
If the filling was re-done and the pain persists on this tooth, then the only other possibility is a crack on the tooth. A root canal will be the only option left . Or extraction if the fracture is too deep. Again this can be determined with a CBCT as previously discussed in this thread.
I used to have very strong sensitivity when biting down food which is now completely gone so it must have been bonding issues because that’s over . Now I have a completely different kind of pain that’s not related to the issue I had previously and it doesn’t happen when I bite down food anymore only when I clench my jaw . The burning sensation on the gum comes and goes in waves

Vote:
Solutions
I finally found someone who performs 3D scans close to where I live . I’ll finally be able to solve this mystery !!!!!

Vote:
Solutions
I used to have very strong sensitivity when biting down food which is now completely gone so it must have been bonding issues because that’s over . Now I have a completely different kind of pain that’s not related to the issue I had previously and it doesn’t happen when I bite down food anymore only when I clench my jaw . The burning sensation on the gum comes and goes in waves
I am finally WELL ! After 4 months of pure hell . I went to see a FOURTH different dentist . She decided to open my tooth and see what was going on . Here’s what the other dentists weren’t able to spot :
4 cavities close to the nerve and spread all over that weren’t showing on the X rays because they were hidden
One crack that luckily was on the filling - and not the tooth. So there was actually a crack but it’s ok bc it wasn’t on the tooth
And biting issue ! I have a medicated paste on my tooth now but I am so relieved : I am well . After four months of pain and not being able to even close my mouth properly . I am shocked that no other dentist could find those hidden cavities and they weren’t able to take my pain seriously even telling me “I was imagining it “ and to leave their office , I could cry because of how happy I am right now ! Guys if you’re having an issue with your tooth GO GET a second or third opinion. Thanks everyone in the thread . My pain was very much real Thank you

Vote:

Ask a Question