Scaling & Root Planing Pain

Hello! I had scaling and root planning (by a student at dental school clinic) yesterday and it was very painful for my gums. I'm wondering if the amount of pain I felt was normal and whether the experience is worth mentioning to his instructor. My gums and teeth are not in horrible condition, with my dental pocket measurements being 2s and 3s with no bleeding. I thought this meant the cleaning would be relatively painless. For 30 minutes it felt like my gums were being forcefully scraped and jabbed, as he performed the procedure with hand tools. I bled to the point he had to stop and apply (too much) pressure to stop the bleeding. He then used the Cavitron, and I'd had enough! I told him I did not want him to use the machine, but he said he'd be gentle (which he was for 1 minute). Is it typical to use both the hand tools and the cavitron? It's seemed like overkill. Anyway, I'm having intense anxiety about having cavities filled by him. I'm not sure if I'm overreacting and not sure how to handle my next visit because I'm not familiar with the protocols at a dental school clinic.

Ask a Question