Root sealer extrusion - sinus pressure

I had a root canal on #2 about two weeks ago. The first few days I was in intense pain (up until 1 week after). The sharp pain has since subsided.

The tooth is negative on cold/hot sensitivity and percussion test.

Last Friday I saw an Endo who prescribed me amoxicillin. I’ve been taking it since then and also mixing in Sudafed. I’ve been able to sleep several nights in a row now but my tooth starts to throb and get pressure if my blood pressure raises or I get stressed.

Endo said some sealer material extruded into my sinus and it should go away within a month. Is this true?

4FBBA15E-D734-4F04-AB04-0CA8C8C7BA10.png

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day.

I have had cases where extruded root canal sealer causes symptoms which then subsides over time. Sometimes it takes shorter than a month, sometimes longer. Extruded root canal sealer into the sinus could become an irritant, which could lead to acute or chronic sinusitis. I would give it some time, then re-evaluate the symptoms and then return to the endodontist if the pain persists.

Vote:
Good day.

I have had cases where extruded root canal sealer causes symptoms which then subsides over time. Sometimes it takes shorter than a month, sometimes longer. Extruded root canal sealer into the sinus could become an irritant, which could lead to acute or chronic sinusitis. I would give it some time, then re-evaluate the symptoms and then return to the endodontist if the pain persists.
Thank you. Is there anything you recommend I do to quicken the recovery? Neti pot rinse perhaps?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
For now unfortunately you only treat it symptomatically. Time will tell. If you are struggling with sinusitis, you can take sinus meds or if severe pain, any anti-inflammatory medication.

Vote:
Thank you! Oddly enough, my symptoms are mainly pressure in the tooth itself and slight pressure in my cheek. No runny nose or sneezing or anything like that. I’m at a loss. Doctor said it’ll clear up so who knows

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Could be sinusitis due to the extruded material into the sinus. Often associated with a "pressure" feeling

Vote:

Ask a Question