Root referral after a tooth extraction

Hi as similar to a post I seen recently I had my first ever tooth extraction 4 weeks ago. It was a bad ordeal and was bleeding a lot, I went to the emergency dentist the day after and they x rayed it and said all 3 roots are still in and quite large so needs referring. Also the reason for extraction was because they said it was infected yet they left the roots in and never said anything to me after. I could of gotten referred by the emergency dentist but that would of costs more so I showed my dentist the x ray and said i need to be referred. They referred me nearly 4 weeks ago and still not heard anything. When I phoned them they tell me there is a waiting list and it will be the hospital that contact me first and it’s only mouth cancer that is an emergency so can be waiting a while.

Is this normal to wait this long for a root referral after an extraction?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
The waiting lists are dependent on the hospital. It is common for more serious conditions to be prioritized. Your condition can be managed in the mean time by medication. The lists are also dependent on the amount of oral surgeons available. You can consider going to a private oral surgeon, but there might be some additional costs involved.

Vote:

Ask a Question