Root Planing & Irrigation

Root Planing is covered under my Delta Care USA CA10A plan but irrigation is not.

The office wants to charge $51 / quadrant. All they do is use a small syringe and squirt a antibiotice solution on the quadrant they just performed PSRP on. Seems very costly to me.

My questions are:

1. What is the solution that they use ?
2. What is the active ingredient in the solution ? chlorhexidine gluconate 0.12% ?
3. Is the dentist using Peridex for this solution ?
4. Can the issue a prescription for Peridex ?
5. For further reading on Peridex indicates that it may cause brown or black stains on teeth after repeated use.

I just don't want to be ripped-off for $204 when maybe I can buy a prescription from a pharmacy for about $10 if Peridex is accomplishing the same thing as their one time irrigation at the dental office.

I also have 6 abrasions ( 2 deep, 4 are moderate ) that they indicated might need to be fill at $203 / tooth..... that's $ 1,218 ...........ouch.........I am considering at least the 2 deep ones so that it may prevent a root canal down the road.......

Is $203 / tooth a usual,customary, & reasonable fee ( UCR fee ) excessive........???

Why is it that everytime one goes to the dentist...it cost a hell of a lot much than going to a doctor's office......something about dental vs medical insurance is not right here ......

Your reply is greatly appreciated......

Ask a Question