Root canaled crown pain

Solutions
Hi

Everyone I am new to this forum, and i need some advice, i live in the uk and I am getting treated under the nhs. I had advanced decay on my upper left premolar (tooth just before the molar) my dentist did a root canal on feb 2019 with no crown, and it caused no problems, however there was a hair line crack on the tooth and eventually a small amount broke off. Then in August 2019 she did a crown on the root canal tooth, at first it did cause me problems such as throbbing and my bite was off but i thought it was just the adjustment period. Then march this year the covid happened and dentist closed. I had my dentists personal email and emailed her may time to say the crown is throbbing, she adviced to floss and use mouthwash. Then the pain went for a bit then it came back August/September time. And only to be fobbed off with antibiotics and an xray. On the xray there is a very tiny shadow on the adjacent premolar root tip which also has been root canaled by has no crown and she is blaming that tooth for my woes. I am adament it is the crowned root canel tooth that is causing the pain and not the adjacent non crowned root caneled tooth.

Note: the shadow on the root tip of the adjacent premolar was there before the other tooth got crowned on xrays and at this time i had no problems, pain only occurred when tooth was crowned

My symptom: 1)Old taste in mouth 2)Throbbing which comes and goes 3) tender to bite on the crown (the adjacent premolar is absolutely fine to eat on) 4) wobbly crown that i can move with my finger nail.

Any advice please

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm suspecting fracture. Do you have any swelling? Many times fractures can be undetectable initially. Over a course of a few weeks, it can present with attachment loss detectable with gum probe. It depends on how serious. Best case is that you were grinding and or clenching due to stress and hyper-inflammed it. Worse case you need to extract the tooth.

Vote:
Solutions
I'm suspecting fracture. Do you have any swelling? Many times fractures can be undetectable initially. Over a course of a few weeks, it can present with attachment loss detectable with gum probe. It depends on how serious. Best case is that you were grinding and or clenching due to stress and hyper-inflammed it. Worse case you need to extract the tooth.

Hey thanks for your reply, yes i think i teeth grind or jaw clench at night and the crown isnt good for my bite as the base of the crown is high, not only that i think it is loose, and no i have no swelling and the pain goes away when i dont eat on that side for a few days.

Vote:
Solutions
Also like today when i press down with my thumb on the base of the crown, it doesnt hurt much, but before when i had the peak of the pain it would hurt, giving me the impression if it was an fracture then the pain wouldn't go away?

Vote:

Ask a Question