Root canal

Solutions
I had a root canal procedure this morning. Was supposed to be done in 1 appointment but my dentist said one of the roots was bleeding/inflamed so put some antiseptic in it. She put a temp filling over it and I made another appointment for the rest to be completed.

She also made the impressions for my crown.

Does this happen often? My dentist said she will fill the roots in, but then what else happens before a crown is put on?
Also, I forget to ask her, do I still floss and brush as normal around that tooth?

Grateful for any help, thanks.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A bit unusual to do the crown prep before the RCT is finished, but not impossible; sounds like a dentist in a hurry. It's just that the final shape of the tooth and core has not been completed - however, this should be OK if there is a simple access cavity.
It also suggests that at the next appt she will do the final root filling, close off the access cavity with a core, and cement the crown. Personally, i prefer to wait 4 weeks after the RCT is finished before starting the crown. I don't want the slight possibility of post-RCT discomfort to complicate the result.

Vote:
Solutions
Thank you for your advice MattKW.
Roughly how long should the rest of the process take (assuming there are no problems)? It is for a molar.

Vote:
Solution
Solutions
Went back and had the second part of my root canal today. My dentist completed it and then took more impressions for my crown (after prepping the tooth) and said I could come back after 2 weeks or more for the crown.

My tooth now is very small and it’s particularly small on one particular side, I didn’t realise just how small it is until I got home. I can’t get to an appointment for the crown for about 3 maybe 4 weeks though. Should this be a problem do you think?

And should I just not chew anything particularly hard on that side until I get the crown or should it be ok for pretty normal eating now?

Vote:

Ask a Question