Root Canal - WRONG Diagnosis?

I'm 47, have all my teeth except couple wisdom. Never had dental issues or other surgeries. Never needed braces, bite good.

30 years ago, I had veneers put on 7, 8, 9, 10. This was purely cosmetic to fix small and gapped teeth. I always had compliments on my teeth, especially on the veneers from new dentists along the journey.

Always had healthy gums. 3.5 years ago, I chipped bottom of veneers on a surfboard. Just the bottom, below the natural tooth, only the porcelain. A couple dentists told me I they can replace the veneers since they are cracked - both 8/9 have chips on bottom now.

Buuut.... I waited 2 years between cleanings. Went in today to a new dentist. She said crack = root canal #8. WTF. Apparently a lot of gum recession now too (heard a lot of 3s & 4s), so I'm also feeling a little bitter right about now.

I have not banged my tooth or anything. You should see the way this lady looked at me and now she wants to kill my tooth.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you had a serious crack, then you should expect to be in pain. Teeth often have superficial cracks that do no harm. Veneers can crack too, but doesn't usually matter except for appearance sake.

Vote:
Thanks. I scheduled a consultation at an Endodontist.

I was just so surprised she said she wanted to do a root canal. I'm not sure why, except she kept talking about the crack, and based on previous comments about my chipped veneer, it felt like maybe she mistook the crack in veneer for the actual tooth, and I wondered if that was possible.

Suppose I'll find out soon...

Vote:
Well, I went to Endodontist.

I don't need a root canal. The irritating part about this, is that the first dentist was ready to do a root canal right away. I never had any pain or swelling or discoloration or anything. I told her the crack was my veneer. Ugh. She was ready to do a full crown also.

Only thing I need is new veneers.

Vote:

Ask a Question