Root canal treatment ongoing for more than 6 months.

Hi.
For more than half a year now, one of my lower premolar is giving me troubles.
It was cleaned and applyed fillings with medication for countles times since.
The doctor subscribed antibiotics, anti-inflamatory for a couple of times without results.
He tried numerous "medications" and some "disinfectants" as he calls them in temporary fillings. One of this disinfectant (about 1 month ago) made a slight change. That evening I felt some very sharp, stabbing pains, like lightning strikes. They lasted only fractions of a second, repeating every ~5-10 minutes. This went on for 2-3 hours than stopped.
Since than the tooth is slightly better, but far from good.
Every time the doctor cleanes the root canal (once a week) and changes the medication, it gets much worse for a couple of days. I guess from the stabbings while cleaning the tip of the root canal. However he's using an apex locator tablet-thingy. (Last time i saw some red coloration on the absorbant paper point he was using)
Especially during the night and in the morning, I feel the tooth being high and very sensitive. Even to slight touch, slight pressure, sideways movement etc.
Later in the day it becomes less sensitive, I can eat softer food.
I've also noticed, that stickyer food, (similar to chewing gum) that pulls on to the filling is painful.
What is your opinion, what should I do?
I feel like the doctor has ran out of ideas and medications to try. The nurse sometimes loudly laughs at me in the background when I arrive and tell the doctor that again nothing has changed.
Thank you.

(the x-ray was made 2 months ago)

Attachments

• 336857473_967378261150560_105237055893506955_n.jpg
    336857473_967378261150560_105237055893506955_n.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 4
Ad

Advertisements

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would suggest maybe seeking a second opinion in a case like this. It is not normal to have the 1st phase of a root canal to be done over several months. I would also suggest taking a CBCT scan in order to rule out additional canals or cracks in the tooth.

Vote:
I would suggest maybe seeking a second opinion in a case like this. It is not normal to have the 1st phase of a root canal to be done over several months. I would also suggest taking a CBCT scan in order to rule out additional canals or cracks in the tooth.
Thank you.
I forgot to tell, that I always feel pain when the doctor reaches the bottom of the root canal while cleaning it. Especially when he uses the absorbant paper points to dry it out.
Is this normal?

Vote:
Ad

Advertisements

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Could be chronic infection. Difficult to say for sure. I would still suggest more advanced radiography in a case like this with a second opinion.

Vote:

Ask a Question