Root Canal Sypmtoms - Sensitive Tooth

Hi all.

I have a tooth that's having root canal symptoms. It's my lower left K9 tooth. It's been bothering me on again, off again for the last 8 months. I've gone to the dentist for it several times, but he can't say for sure what the problem is and whether or not it needs a root canal.

I've also seen an endodontist several times for the same tooth, in the same time period. The endodontist ends up with the same problem, indecisive about the problem.

Right now, I'm at the point where I don't care what the problem is. I just want the pain and sensitivity to stop.

The tooth is having the typical root canal symptoms. It causes constant pain, pain when biting/chewing and sensitivity especially to cold (sometimes hot also). Additional symptoms are jaw pain on the same side of the mouth and gum tenderness/pain near the tooth.

I've had root canals before, but in the past there was always evidence on the x-ray that told the doctor I needed one done. I already saw my dentist last week and once again he's referred me to the endodontist. I have an appointment tomorrow with him.

My question now is if the endodontist doesn't say that I need a root canal or suggest that I get one, can I just have him do it anyway?

I'm done having these symptoms. I just want them to stop now. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

JJ

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I just want to give you an update.

I had my appointment with the endodontist on 6/24/15. Turns out the K9 tooth #22 is not what's causing my pain and sensitivity. Apparently I'm having referred pain from the tooth that's really causing the problem.

The endodontist did the usual tests. He took several x-rays. That in of itself was painful, due to the pain I have when biting. He also did the cold test, tested the gum and did a percussion test. He tested a few teeth on the same side in order to find the one that is causing the problem. The cold test set off #18 really badly. The sharp pain lingered long after the cold was gone and the tooth was sore even a couple of hours later.

Apparently I have a deep cavity on my molar #18. It's likely been there all this time, but wasn't detected on x-rays due to it being very near the gum line. The tooth is extremely sensitive and we decided to do the root canal right away. I decided against getting a filling first, because there's no guarantee that a filling will take away my pain.

We also found out that I have another tooth #23 that has signs of resorption. From what I understand the root is dissolving. For now we're going to watch the tooth, but it will eventually need a root canal and/or possibly extraction followed by an implant.

I'm glad that we finally found the source of my pain in #18. At least now we can fix it. I know and trust this endodontist, but I have pretty severe dental phobia and anxiety. I'm looking forward to the appointment because it'll make my pain go away, but at the same time I don't know how I'm going to sit in that office for 2 hours.

I have a routine that I follow for these situations. It helps some but not completely. I take a portable CD player with noise cancelling headphones and listen to music during the procedure. I also take a stress ball to hold in my hand and I take some herbal anti-anxiety medication before hand.

Just the noise of the dental drill alone makes me anxious, so the music is necessary. I've had a lot of dental work done in my life, so I'm sure this contributes to the problem. I also have very sensitive teeth and often times need extra medication to numb me during a procedure. Twice already, I've had procedures where the doctor had to stop and give me more medication.

So, that's the update for now.

Does anyone have any advice on coping with dental procedures and dental phobia and anxiety?

Thanks.

JJ

Vote:
Hi all.

I just got out of my appointment about an hour ago (6/30/15). I'm home resting because I was really tired afterwards.

The appointment was nerve wracking for me like I expected. I just have really bad dental anxiety and phobia, so it was difficult for me. I was on edge emotionally the entire time.

All in all it went ok. My nervousness didn't help, but I let them do the procedure. It was one 2 hour appointment which is hard for me. The root canal was successful and the affected tooth was not infected which I'm grateful for.

My endodontist always gives a topical numbing agent before he injects the Novacaine and it helps some, but you can still feel some pain from the needle. Normally I think the doctors give you two shots of pain medication. I have very sensitive teeth and for me they had to use 5 shots today. He gave me two, then let them work. Then he gave me another two and let those work. Maybe about a half an hour into the procedure I had to get the last shot, because I started to feel pain.

I've always had a hard time with dental numbing and today was no different.

I think I became dissociative during the procedure in order to deal with my anxiety and phobia. The music in my head phones helped me to zone out and my vision was blurred and I wasn't focused on anything in particular.

I also have TMJ problems and during a long procedure like this they tend to act up. The last hour of the procedure was painful for me, because my jaw started hurting and that lead to a major head ache.

The endodontist knows about my history with TMJ and let me take breaks to rest my jaw as needed. I ended up moaning from the pain and the doctor knew to speed things up a bit. It's really hard to talk with that dental dam on, but he knew what the problem was without me saying anything. The last hour of the procedure was the hardest for me due to my jaw pain. The endodontist kept telling me 'we're almost done' for the last hour of the procedure.

I've tried using bite blocks before, but that actually makes my pain worse, so I don't use them.

I'm still really numb. I hope it lasts for awhile. Due to the amount of medication I needed, the whole left side of my mouth is numb.

Today's appointment made me come to a decision though. I'm glad because I've been debating over it for the last couple of years. From now on I'm going to see a sedation dentist for all of my dental work. My emotions are too out of control for me to go on like this anymore.

I already set up a new patient appointment with a local doctor, because I know that I'm going to need some more restorative work done in the next month or so. I've already put it off too long.

So, that's the update. Thanks again to everyone.

JJ

Vote:
I'm really glad to hear that your problem was sorted .. I was intending to ask you to consider the sedation option but it seems like you are already aware of it.

Unfortunately, dental procedures can be very stressful especially if you have dental phobia .. I believe that sedation will the best option for you.

Thank you for the update and sorry for the late reply.

Vote:
Thank you. Yes, since my last post I've used the nitrous oxide once and it worked wonders for me. I'm going to use it for all of my dental appointments from now on.

Vote:

Ask a Question