Root Canal Re-treatment or Implant?

Hello everyone,
My lateral incisor (#10) was treated 8 years ago. Right around Christmas time, i started noticing subtle throbs and pain but not enough to get me worried as it only occurred at night. Last month, my tooth got worse and I would wake up with excruciating pain.
Today I saw an endodontist, this is what he told me while looking at my x-ray. The root of my tooth is quite shallow and there is some bone loss of the tooth. He couldn't see any fractures from the x-ray or just by looking but hard to confirm unless he did the re-treatment.
He was hinting that I should keep my tooth since I am still quite young (im 28 y.o), but because I dont have dental insurance, I'm debating if i should follow through with a re-treatment and risk possible tooth infection in the following months and have surgery (with risk of infections later on as well) or if I should go the extraction route.
What are your thoughts? with the bone loss, if i chose the re-treatment route and everything goes well, how long do i have with a tooth that already started to have bone loss and a short tip?

Solutions
It's perhaps worth trying to retreat the tooth first. I don't know the stats on failure but I do think every tooth is individual and there must be quite a few variables that make it difficult to compare. I do know the chances of long term success goes down with a re-treated tooth. But if you take the tooth out it's possible that without sufficient bone that they cannot place an implant. They may have to do bone grafts but there's a chance you might need a bridge. If you take it out and do nothing then it could affect your bite and put more pressure on surrounding teeth. Generally you may end up needing other work anyway, I have some root treated front teeth but they have been ok for over 20 years. I used to worry about a couple needing re-treatment but the dentist always said it looks ok and then they settled. But I do think it depends on who does the work. Mine were done by a top endo. I do believe it's always better to try to keep the natural tooth. Implants also have a finite life although many can last you can end up paying out for re-treatment. Other options put pressure on the surrounding teeth. I'd also suggest you wear a guard at night to take pressure off root filled teeth. You might be simply knocking it at night and such a tooth is not so strong. I'd personally try that before you do anything else. A guard can be relatively cheap and if you start waking with no pain after wearing a guard then it's a grinding issue.

Vote:

Ask a Question