Root canal or pull it

Solutions
I have a serious cracked tooth pain. The cracked pain is from a large filling made on a molar. I believe microcracks were made inside the filling from how violent the dentist was when using the burr tool. It has now lead to many visits with diff dentists and most are clueless. I am very sure it is microcracks causing it. It will not allow anything from a blackberry seed to pizza crust to be chewed on it. The tooth before this operation was perfect. Im thinking tooth has too many microcracks inside of filling. Now i may be pressed to choose between root canal/crown or extraction. All because of someone elses carelessness. Photo does not show much. You can see more of the shape in dark room with white led light up close. It has most of its cusps cut off. The shape is 90% flat. The filling to tooth ratio is 90% filling. No real tooth left. The dentist put this huge unnecessary filling to be proactive with decay. I want to know is removing this tooth smarter than a root canal. I hear more bad things with root canals like Heart attacks and bacteria inside. Rather not have that potential with removal of tooth.

Tooth is bottom back molar. I believe it is my 2nd molar since i took out my wisdom teeth

Attachments

• 20200106_223505.jpg
    20200106_223505.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 186
Solutions
Hello, if the dentist put a very big filling inside a cavitie, maybe you have an irritaded pulp right now. It could be pulpitis. Sensitivity in a tooth could be caused by the proximity of the restoration material to the pulp tissue, and the bite pressure could also affect the pulp, causing inflammation. If you need a root canal, you should see an endodontist. But first, try the dentist, to check the vitality of the tooth pulp, and a rx, to check the periapical area.

Vote:
Solutions
Hi Sonia

No this is not a case of irritated pulp. Filling not close to pulp and it has been over 6 months straight with same pain. Feels like the tooth got shattered and was taped back together. Funny thjng i had same type pain on another tooth that dentists were lost about and that made me not eat on a side for 2 straight years. What fixed that was a simple burr tool shaving it down. Just came back from a dentist and he said looks good. So this is what i hear when i do not flinch when they give me there bite test. Anf they do not want to touch a healthy tooth. It may look healthy in xray. But it is far from it. It doesnt work all day everyday. So i need to find a doctor who has a listening ear. Will be going to another dentist in 2 days.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I understand you have pain for over 6 months. Does the tooth hurt spontaneously? Is it sensitive to colds or heat? What was the condition of the tooth before the filling was placed? It is hard to diagnose and locate fractures. Many times the micro-fractures or craze lines pose no problems...I have them on all of my teeth. For me, I would take a bite wing and periapical x-ray to study the bone and root tip patterns. I would perio probe around your teeth for any attachment loss. I would utilize the tooth sleuth biting stick on each cusp. Next I would apply cold test. Do you grind and or clench and not know it? There could be many different possibilities for your pain. 2nd lower molars are more vulnerable due to their smaller size and the enormous stress they take.

Vote:
Solutions
I appreciate the help. I do not have spontaneous pain. It is def not pain in gum or pulp. It is almost most def cracks on inside of tooth. The Doc who used the drill excavated a bit too much leaving a fishbowl frame. Was very violent with that tool. Took 20 mins of drilling. The bigger the cavity the more risk of pain that can happen. I know it is tooth telatedfir many reasons. Hot cold barely any. No throbbing ever in gums before and after the faulty filling. Mouth before op was in tip top shape. No pains or aches at all. All teeth had no decay. This was an attemot to be proactive and stop decay. Because of a slight grey area. The tooth sleuth doesnt trigger the pain due to the stick only landing on the real tooth which is the 4 cusps remaining. If there was a pea size ball i could place on the flat filling surface then try. It would send me through the roof. That sleuth misses the area that has the pain. I fixed a similar pain on another tooth after 2 years of not eating on 1 side by a simple trim job with burr tool.
I should have got a second opinion for this filliing. The grey spot was staining. So i switched a working tooth for a massive pain and no function at all.

Vote:
Solutions
This is what im talking about. The red lines are the microcracks which are close to dentin and nerves. Even tons of cracks on the paper thin walls made. Cant hold much toughness and cracks on those walls would feel twice or 100x more amplified due to how fragile it is due to thickness.
I can go on and on about this tooth. And all the theories.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-15-01-21-36.png
    Screenshot_2020-01-15-01-21-36.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 165

Vote:
Solutions
So i am an investigative person. When i was given the sleuth stick test and no pain was triggered. I knew that wasnt the best test for this problem. I needed a smaller tool. Skinnier also. So i used a match stick. And i can pin point the exact location. Reason why the matchstick. An trigger it has to do with a couple things. Here is a shot of where i lay the matchstick and bite with a fully closed mouth. Instead of that sleuth which has half the force being used because half your mouth is still open. Impossible to get an accurate account with that tool because my pain never happens with my mouth open.
So with this find i think i may have saved my tooth from a root canal or extraction. The matchstick is the one that has dimension so it mimics a food like a blackberry seed which gives me extreme pain. When the matchstick is being bitten on those 2 back cusps it feels like none of my teeth are touching on either side. Which means pressure pain is the cause.

Thank u ahead of time

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-15-15-46-27.png
    Screenshot_2020-01-15-15-46-27.png
    715.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Screenshot_2020-01-15-15-50-31.png
    Screenshot_2020-01-15-15-50-31.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 153

Vote:
Solutions
I agree with Honestdoc. I was thinking about what you said about the gray staining, and the drilling. I believe that, you probably had a X-ray before the treatment, to check if there was a big decay on the tooth, even if it wasn't to big from the outside view. You can, using those x-ray, have an ideia about the necessity of the treatment that was done, or get a second opinian about it. At least, is what I can think that could help. I hope you can solve that situation soon.

Vote:
Solutions
Not sure why you need it as im dealing with a cracked tooth pain. And it does not show cracks on the xray. Even with the xray. Your still half clueless as to how the filling sits in the tooth due to the xray only being 2d

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Because you are the one saying it is cracked tooth pain, not the dentists, and all you have to show is a unhelpful photo. Correct, cracks don't show up on Xrays, but it will show me the depth of the cavity that you think the dentist has overdrilled, and possibly an idea of what materials he used to fill it.

Vote:

Ask a Question