Root Canal or extraction

I have a impacted wisdom teeth with a cavity and that infected the second molar. The doctor advised to extract both and put a implant for the second molar. I looking for ways to salvage it. Is RCT out of picture in my case? I have attached the X-ray for reference. I don't feel much pain. Implants will cost me in the range of $4k which I dont have with me now. Can you guys please look and see if it is really that bad?

Attachments

• Wisdom_and _second_molar.JPG
    Wisdom_and _second_molar.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 168

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
An RCT is quite acceptable. You bigger problem is that this decay has badly damaged the tooth, so you will need a solid filling at the end, followed by a crown. I would advise a post-retained amalgam, then a precious PFM (or precious alloy crown) with metal margins of ~3mm. I suggest metal margins because the back end of the crown will probably be under the gum level, and metal marginis best for that.

Vote:
Thanks for the response Matt. Do you see any infection in there and how long can I postpone the RCT? I need 2-3 months to get my finances in order. Wondering if delaying it will make it worse.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You can't necessarily "see" infection. If you can feel the tooth when you have something icy cold to drink, then it is still alive. 2-3 months should be OK, but you can never be sure.

Vote:
Thanks Matt. Really appreciate you taking time to answer my questions.I have one more question. The doctor wants to remove the impacted wisdom tooth first. As it looks like it has grown into the molar, if I get the wisdom tooth removed, will it in anyway affect the second molar and would require me to fix it early? I am afraid that removing the wisdom tooth will damage the molar.My insurance will cover the wisdom teeth removal, but does not pay much for RCT or implants. If I get the wisdom teeth removed now and the RCT later , do you see any issues? Thanks.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The removal of the wisdom as such won't affect the 2nd molar. But you are very lucky not to be experiencing symptoms already from the 2nd molar, so delay as little as possible.

Vote:

Ask a Question