Root canal or Cavity causing same side ear and throat pain

Hi everyone, I've had 2 root canals done on my right side and one filling from a cavity. I've been having a lot of ear pain and a swollen lymph node same side as the root canals and filling. ENT does not see anything. Thoughts on this xray, do you see anything wrong/possible infections? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 73

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

If the root canals were done recently, you might still be in the process of healing. On the peri-apicals provided, it doesn't look like your teeth have any infection, but it might also be that it is still too early to see any infection on the x-rays.
On your last molar, I also can't make out if all the roots have been filled. If all roots weren't filled, there is a chance of infection
Have you been on any antibiotics recently?

Vote:
Hi Dr M,

The last molar root canal was done about 4.5 years ago. Second to last molar was done more than 1.5 years (Feb 2019).
I've been on amoxicillin twice over the past year for the ear pain/throat. Both times there was no resolve in the tooth/ear/throat pain.

Is there a chance I could have a abscessed tooth? I am scheduled to get a CT scan of my face/sinuses to see if anything is present. My uncle is a dentist in a different state, after sending him the x-ray he gave me his thoughts about what he saw. Thoughts on what he's identified? I've attached the photo.

Attachments

• x-ray.png
    x-ray.png
    456.4 KB · Views: 77

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day.
I agree that there MIGHT be something in the areas your uncle identified, but one has to be very careful on peri-apical radiographs, since there might be a degree of overlap.
I would wait to see what the CT reveals of this region.

Vote:

Ask a Question