Root Canal on both sides

Hi-I'm new here-not used to dental problems. Here's my story: I cracked a Molar(#5) and my dentist bonded it and said it didn't need a root canal but a crown and it could wait. Fast forward-I'm out of town for a month and the bonding falls out. I have no pain but start chewing on the other side to not aggravate it. I come home and the opposite molar (#14) cracks. Again, no pain. My dentist says it doesn't need a root canal and let's crown that one first because #5 could possibly need a RC. Long story short, I suffered every day after the crown prep even when the permanent crown (which he put in with temporary cement) and went to an endodontist who did a root canal, said it had "pus" , did stage 1 RC and put the crown on with temp cement. 10 days later, #5 acts up and I need a RC on that one. He says that one might not work but he's optimistic. The endodontist says #14 is "doing what it's supposed to" even though it's still sore (he said the gum looked bruised) though the nerve pain subsided. Now I start chewing light on #14 side because it's healing and after 3 days, it starts throbbing and burning.

I am 2 1/2 weeks past the first RC and 1 week post the 2nd. The 2nd is feeling pretty good but the 1st is still very sore around the gum line. I'm thinking maybe the crown shouldn't have been put back right away or that because the crown prep was so traumatic it is taking longer. I feel like a rabbit trying to eat with my front teeth . Going back to the endodontist next week to supposedly get stage 2 RT on #14.

Everything I read on the internet seems to insinuate that I should be eating and partying by now. Any thoughts?

P.S. The endodontist doesn't really like antibiotics but gave me a script after the 1st RC in case I got a fever, which I didn't. I caved after 2 weeks and am on day 5 of them.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I recommend a custom bite guard after all of your restorations are completed. In the mean time, try Over the Counter night guard. Sometimes root canals can take some time to notice improvement. The endodontist is correct about not over prescribing antibiotics. For the most part, your body can control minor infections and over using antbiotics can make your body resistant to them.

Vote:

Ask a Question