Root canal issues or TMJ / Grinding pain?

5 months ago I had 2 back molars removed due to a crack and infection. The 3rd tooth right next to these (premolar?) then had a root canal and crown. The extraction of the 2 teeth was not easy as both were attached to the jaw bone. In the last couple of weeks, the root canalled tooth is a little tender to side pressure only when pressed (not pressure at the top, no sensitivity to hot or cold or general ache) and I have a mild ache in the jaw were the 2 teeth were removed and under my ear. I've been to both my dentist and oral/maxfax suregon (but not my endodontist who did the root canal yet) and neither can see anything wrong with the root canal tooth or in the area where the teeth were removed. My oral/maxfax surgeon has diagnosed TMJ as my jaw on the opposite side pops out of place at night and sometimes locks so I cant open it fully. He thinks the pressure pain in the root canal tooth could be due to grinding my teeth and 'Im getting a mouthguard. My question is, could the grinding be hurting the root canal tooth (the bite is fine) or is the root canal failing? I know its hard to answer without x-rays.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Grinding could cause some pain on the tooth. Even though the tooth has had root canal treatment done, it still has ligaments around it, and if these ligaments become stretched, due to grinding, it could lead to some pain on the tooth. The occlusion should be double checked as well.
Unfortunately it could also be a combination problem. If the root canal is indeed problematic, then this could also contribute, but without more information, it is impossible to tell.

Vote:
Thank you so much Dr M. I know I should just go back to the Endodontist as ask his advice, but Im so afraid he'll say I need more work done. I had so much done and had pain for so long last autumn, to be back here now is so upsetting - although I have almost no pain except on flossing really and a very mild pain in jaw, my mind is going straight back to where I was and worst case senario. My husband thinks I should wait until I get the mouth guard and see if that helps, especially as my dentist and oral surgeon think the root canal looks good.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You can always wait and see how the mouth guard works. If no relief, go and see the Endodontist again.

Vote:

Ask a Question