Root Canal gone bad - need advice

Hello,

About 9 months ago, I had a root canal done on the first molar, on the right of my lower jaw. There is now periapical infection in this tooth (see attached picture). I went to an endodontist and here are my 3 options:
1) Do a retreatment (Chances of success are not very high because this requires a 90 degree curvature to drop medicine in the infected area)
2) Extract the tooth and put in a replacement
3) Leave it in there

At this point it doesn't bother me at all..but I am more concerned about the long term and definitely not in favor of extracting it. Looking at the picture, and the info provided, what would you recommend? Feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• rootcanal.jpg
    rootcanal.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 523
Hello,

About 9 months ago, I had a root canal done on the first molar, on the right of my lower jaw. There is now periapical infection in this tooth (see attached picture). I went to an endodontist and here are my 3 options:
1) Do a retreatment (Chances of success are not very high because this requires a 90 degree curvature to drop medicine in the infected area)
2) Extract the tooth and put in a replacement
3) Leave it in there

At this point it doesn't bother me at all..but I am more concerned about the long term and definitely not in favor of extracting it. Looking at the picture, and the info provided, what would you recommend? Feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you have an infection, it is important to treat it before it spreads to other tissues, especially your jaw bone. If you can afford, go forward with the re-treat. If that doesn't work, it's time to extract it.

Vote:
HI

Have the tooth extracted in case you have contracted a disease. You risk the disease being spread to other tissues as well! If that happens, you will be paralyzed for life! Avoid that, and have it plugged out for good!

Vote:
If you have an infection, it is important to treat it before it spreads to other tissues, especially your jaw bone. If you can afford, go forward with the re-treat. If that doesn't work, it's time to extract it.

+1
Treat it and leave it unless you can't get rid of the infection.

Vote:

Ask a Question