Root canal fail (with photos)

Hello everyone. Thank you for welcoming me to this great forum. I would like to ask if you could kindly review that 7 photos of my former tooth and tell me your opinions and information. I've had a root canal done on this tooth, not without problems as follows:

1. The dentist was not wearing a mask and was chatting to the assistant all the time stoping the work every few seconds. They both were chatting directly into my mouth and I could smell their breaths.

2. The RC was done in two appointments: first the temporary filling and then, after over 2 months of waiting. The dentist explained they forgot to receive some necessary parts and had to wait 2 months to do the permanent filling and the RC. Yet after the temporary filling was done the dentist already told me I will have to wait 6 weeks. A bit strange.

3. I told the dentist that after 2 months of temporary filling (quite a stressful wait being careful what I eat not to have the temp. filling fail) I could still feel a slight "pain" in that tooth, but the dentist said that is normal and proceeded with a permanent filling and the RC.

4. The RC was done very quickly, in 5-10 minutes (chatting, without face mask).

5. Instantly after the RC my cheek started swelling and bad pain. I went back to the dentist after a weekend (they were closed for 2 days and di not respond via email in urgency) and the secretary "PFFFT" reacted when I said my face is swollen and I have pain. Kind of "you're lying, nothing to worry about". Then when I asked for antibiotics (they did not offer antibiotics, I had to request) they checked my ID, read my all kinds of papers they are not supposed to as they were not related to dentistry or to my tooth, then they called the dentists, verified that I am elligible to a antibiotics prescription and after half an hour I was given a prescription for antibiotics. It was a holiday locally so pharmacies were closed. Fibally one pharnacy agreed to reopen and to selle me antibiotics, gladly.

6. During antibiotics treatment dentist wrote it was not their fault (of course) on what happened.

7. I kept having minimal swelling even after 10 days on antibiotics, but dentist said of no concern just wait it off. I started getting shooting ans in my head and throat infection.

8. Finally throat pain started for about a week after which after 48 days past the RC treatment my tooth burst open and the throat pain stopped. It cracked in a shape of a spear, on both the remaining part and the broke off part. Took about a week to finally break it off while eating.

9. When I looked at the tooth I found it has a large area of decay that was allegedly not addressed by the dentist (?) and some orange parts or spots, perhaps the stick for firmament for strength of the root canal as dentist told me. Either the dentist did not treat (all of the) decay or it decayed further in just 1 1/2 months? Or perhaps the root canal was proceeded on already too decayed tooth that was not supposed to be root canaled? The decay all over the inside of the tooth seems to have never been treated (perhaps)?

Please take a look at the photos attached. Your advise, info and opinions are very much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC05943.JPG
    DSC05943.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC05944.JPG
    DSC05944.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC05945.JPG
    DSC05945.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC05946.JPG
    DSC05946.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC05948.JPG
    DSC05948.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC05949.JPG
    DSC05949.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC05954.JPG
    DSC05954.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 303
I doubt the dentist would "provide" x-rays to me... Already tried with other dentists, to no avail. They would charge for the x-ray but sweettalk me out of receiving the x-rays. I would need independent, unbiased advice, just looking at the photos. Can't believe there's no one interested.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I doubt the dentist would "provide" x-rays to me... Already tried with other dentists, to no avail. They would charge for the x-ray but sweettalk me out of receiving the x-rays. I would need independent, unbiased advice, just looking at the photos. Can't believe there's no one interested.
You write quite well, so I'm guessing you're in USA, UK, or Aust? There are usually consumer laws that allow you to get copies of your medical and dental records, including X-rays.It's not that anyone's uninterested, but photos of a broken tooth show nothing tangible. X-rays taken before, during, and after the treatment are your best option. You sound as if you haven't asked for records yet. Contact your local consumer association if you need help accessing your records.

Vote:
You write quite well, so I'm guessing you're in USA, UK, or Aust? There are usually consumer laws that allow you to get copies of your medical and dental records, including X-rays.It's not that anyone's uninterested, but photos of a broken tooth show nothing tangible. X-rays taken before, during, and after the treatment are your best option. You sound as if you haven't asked for records yet. Contact your local consumer association if you need help accessing your records.

Thanks for advising. As far as I know and I can see the tooth was most likely beyond repair, but the dentist went ahead anyway with RC without bothering to repair decay in other parts of the tooth. In Portugal it is a hopeless case most likely. I forgot to mention that I currently live in Portugal (as an adventure) and am from a Baltic Sea country in Central Europe. Yet a dentist in the US did sweettalk to refuse an xray. A couple weeks ago I emailed the Portuguese dentist about the situation, but received no response so far. The other two Portuguese dentists I went to one was postponing on the last hour entire three times even knowing it was an emergency and I was in pain. They would schedule an appt. then on the last hour call me and cancel the appt. then schedule 2-3 weeks in advance and cancel that appt. again. After 3 cancellations I did not want to trust that dentist. The other dentist scheduled for 2 months later (despite being an emergency), then the day before the appt. she called me and cancelled the appt. and refused to reschedule for unknown reasons. That's how I found a flyer from the third dentist, who has been advertising a lot as there is a limited number of dentists available here in the beautiful Portugal.

Vote:

Ask a Question