Root canal after filling broke

I recently had part of a filling break off on an upper tooth. When they got in there, it had extended down to the root and a new filling couldn't be placed without a root canal. This is my fourth tooth that I've had a root canal on, and I've got 7-8 similarly large fillings that are just as old as that one. Are these ticking time bombs? Am I going to end up with 12 root canaled teeth? Are there long term health concerns with having that many teeth with that procedure?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you have progressively larger fillings on teeth over the year, then the fillings get larger and the remaining tooth gets weaker. Eventually the tooth might crack. Cracks can be unpredictable, and may cause the nerve to be exposed/damaged. And some people are more aggressive with their chewing than others, or eat risky foods. If the dentist thinks you have broken off too much tooth, he may suggest a crown to prevent further uncontrolled breakages. It might be time to talk about whether you should get crowns on those other filled teeth. It wouldn't hurt to get 2nd opinion.

Vote:

Ask a Question