Retainers

Hello everyone,
I wanted to ask if I should continue wearing my retainers after I got braces. I am a 16 year old male. The situation is a little complicated, because I have learned that tongue posture affects the development of the maxilla, and my tongue posture used to be bad, which I assume lead to my overbite. While braces have corrected the overbite somewhat by pulling my teeth inwards, the result is that my palate is still rather small. My back teeth are still coming in, and my orthodontist has said he isn't sure how they will turn out since there is little space in the back of my mouth. I think the lack of space is because of my small palate from incorrect tongue posture and open mouth posture. Now, I am wondering whether practicing correct tongue posture would expand my palate a bit so the back teeth could come in correctly. I worry that wearing my retainer will prevent the change I am trying to make. However, I am also worried that if my palate does grow, my bite will be messed up and my teeth will be crooked again. Will this happen, or will tongue posture prevent my teeth from growing crooked?

Ask a Question