Replacing Front Tooth Fillings

HI is there a way of telling if your filling is stained or leaking ? i visited a NHS dentist recently who did not say there was any issue with a filling said the stain could probably be polished out. I had to go to a private dentist for other work who said the filling is leaking and needs replacing. How can i tell. is it worth replacing front tooth fillings for aesthetic purposes he said he wont need to remove more tooth but I'm really concerned about having a filling unnecessarily as would rather keep my tooth for as long as possible he is going to use composite filling. thanks in advance for any advice

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A stain could be an indication of leakage, although an x-ray would be required for an accurate diagnoses. If there is indeed leakage and it is left untreated, the decay could spread and lead to further tooth destruction.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You can develop stains around the edges of composites if they were not etched widely enough, or if the bonding resin extended past the edge of the etch surface, or if the bond id degrading, or if there are large dorces applied to the filling over time. It is common to have to polish front composites back at say, 5-10 years. If the staining goes too deep, it may require a new filling, but it may not become apparent until you are doing the polishing back.
If there's decay under the filling, it will show up farther away from the edges, and Xrays are not a reliable indicator.
I'd go to the NHS dentist first and see how it goes.

Vote:
You can develop stains around the edges of composites if they were not etched widely enough, or if the bonding resin extended past the edge of the etch surface, or if the bond id degrading, or if there are large dorces applied to the filling over time. It is common to have to polish front composites back at say, 5-10 years. If the staining goes too deep, it may require a new filling, but it may not become apparent until you are doing the polishing back.
If there's decay under the filling, it will show up farther away from the edges, and Xrays are not a reliable indicator.
I'd go to the NHS dentist first and see how it goes.
Thanks for the advice

Vote:
Replacing front tooth fillings is a common dental procedure that may be needed for a variety of reasons, such as:

Wear and tear: Over time, dental fillings can become worn or damaged, leading to decay or other dental problems.

Discoloration: If your front tooth fillings are discolored, they can affect the appearance of your smile.

Cracks or Chips: If your front tooth filling has cracks or chips, it will need to be replaced to prevent further damage to your teeth.

Decay: If decay has built up around or under your front tooth fillings, they may need to be removed and replaced to prevent further damage to your teeth.

The specific materials used for your new filling may depend on your personal needs and preferences as well as your dentist's recommendations.

Vote:

Ask a Question