Reparation after grinding

SJ0

Solutions
Hello! I have bruxism issues (see picture) and I wear since 2 months a mouth guard. My dentist told me he can do some work to repair my grinding damage, without telling me what it consists of. What kind of reparation could I have? Thank you!
Grinding 2.jpg

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Teeth are incredibly tough, and mere grinding alone won't cause attrition like that in a young person without something that softens the enamel. What acidic foods or drinks do you have, e.g. soft drinks, fruit juices, sports drinks,...? There is no point even trying to repair that unless the cause has been identified and removed.

Vote:

SJ0

Solutions
Teeth are incredibly tough, and mere grinding alone won't cause attrition like that in a young person without something that softens the enamel. What acidic foods or drinks do you have, e.g. soft drinks, fruit juices, sports drinks,...? There is no point even trying to repair that unless the cause has been identified and removed.
Thank you for your answer! I never thought that my teeth were that much damaged! Actually I have been struggling with anorexia nervosa and self-induced vomiting since 2015. However, my last vomiting was in October 2019. I do not consume acidic foods or drinks. If I stop vomiting, what will be the reparation?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The primary aims are to prevent further tooth erosion and possibly rebuild the lost tooth structure.
The degree of damage appears mild-to-moderate. It's not desirable to drill away more tooth structure by doing invasive fillings or crowns. I'd be considering composite rebuilding of the front teeth, and composite onlays for the back teeth. If your dentist wants to drill your teeth to place fillings, ask for a referral to a prosthodontist.

Vote:

SJ0

Solutions
The primary aims are to prevent further tooth erosion and possibly rebuild the lost tooth structure.
The degree of damage appears mild-to-moderate. It's not desirable to drill away more tooth structure by doing invasive fillings or crowns. I'd be considering composite rebuilding of the front teeth, and composite onlays for the back teeth. If your dentist wants to drill your teeth to place fillings, ask for a referral to a prosthodontist.

Thank you very much for your answer!

Vote:

Ask a Question